- Antawn Jamison Remembers Feeling ‘Numb’ After LeBron James Deserted Him on Cavs in 2010
- LeBron James Sends Outpouring of Birthday Messages to Kevin Love
- Kendrick Perkins Rips Apart Kyle Kuzma, Calls for Dion Waiters to Get More Playing Time
- NBA Executive Doubts Kyrie Irving Will Respect Steve Nash as Head Coach
- Kevin Love Reacts to Ongoing Feud Between Richard Jefferson and Scottie Pippen
- Scottie Pippen Destroys Richard Jefferson for Saying Giannis Antetokounmpo ‘Might Be a Pippen’
- Richard Jefferson Crucifies Giannis Antetokounmpo, Compares Him to Scottie Pippen
- Report: Multiple Cavs Veterans Will Not Participate in Team’s Voluntary Minicamp
- Cavs Fans Livid After Team Decides to Honor Michael Jordan on Iconic Statement Edition Uniforms
- Andre Drummond Goes After Donald Trump Following Latest Attack on NBA Protests
Report: Sources Reveal What Type of Players Cavs Are Looking for in Kyrie Irving Trade
- Updated: July 24, 2017
Kyrie Irving has let the Cleveland Cavaliers know where he is hoping to end up as a result of his trade request, but the Cavs will most likely be looking to trade the disgruntled star to whatever team offers the best deal.
The Cavs are looking at Irving’s demand as an opportunity to both bolster their current roster, and begin to build for the future.
“Cleveland is seeking a bundle of assets, but the highest priority right now is snagging a blue-chip young player, according to sources across the league. That is not necessarily a signal they think (LeBron) James is leaving. They would like to get everything: one or two veterans who can help LeBron dethrone Golden State, that blue-chipper, and picks. They want to prepare for a worst-case scenario of LeBron leaving without shoving him out the door by acquiring players he deems unready. Even so, the blue-chipper appears to be their guidepost”
It appears that Cavs are also looking at past trades to make sure they get the best bang for their buck.
“Koby Altman has studied every star trade of the past decade-plus,” Lowe added. “They took special note of Phoenix flipping an unhappy Goran Dragic on an expiring contract for two first-round picks, including Miami’s unprotected 2021 pick. They are shooting for the mother lode.”
The fact that Altman and the rest of the Cavs’ front office is taking time to analyze current offers and past trades is very promising. While Irving’s talent will surely be missed, his departure is also an opportunity to build depth, look to the future, and continue the pursuit of another NBA championship.