- Report: Cavs hoping to attend workout of top NBA draft prospect Devin Vassell
- Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Kevin Porter Jr. shouts out potential Cavs pick LaMelo Ball after huge announcement
- Iman Shumpert makes adamant pick between 2016 Cavs and 2020 Lakers
- Richard Jefferson takes hilarious shot at Giannis Antetokounmpo while comparing him to LeBron James
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson send huge congrats to ‘brother’ LeBron James for winning NBA title
- Andre Drummond campaigns for Cleveland Browns to give him shot at tight end
- Dylan Windler proceeds with huge life decision on Cavs home court
- Tristan Thompson shares threatening text LeBron James sent after Cavs lost Game 4 of 2016 finals
- Mark Cuban shares incredible picture of Delonte West to prove he’s on path to recovery
Cavs Rumors: J.R. Smith Could Be Fined for Trade Comments
- Updated: November 1, 2018
On Thursday morning, Cleveland Cavaliers fans were surprised to learn that shooting guard J.R. Smith is hoping for a trade, and it now seems as though he could face a fine from the NBA for the admission.
The news was revealed when Smith openly admitted his hopes of being traded when asked by a reporter. Now, according to one NBA insider, the NBA will examine whether or not Smith’s statements should earn him a fine from the league.
JR Smith was asked: "Are you hoping for a trade?" He responded, "Yeah." The NBA will examine if that constitutes a public trade request, which exposes him to a fine under the CBA. Eric Bledsoe was popped $10K for the "I don't wanna be here," tweet in Phoenix.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 1, 2018
A potential fine from the league is an interesting wrinkle to the incredibly unexpected trade request. While Smith has found himself on the outside looking in the Cavs’ rotation, it is unclear what kind of trade, if any, would be offered for the 15-year veteran.
Smith’s request to be traded is the latest sign that the Cavs are in the midst of a massive overhaul. Other signs of that fact include the news that veteran guard Kyle Korver is reportedly on the trading block, and of course the firing of Cavs head coach Tyronn Lue.
What remains to be seen is how the younger players on this roster respond now that it seems like much of the veteran presence may soon be on the move.