- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
- Report: Cavs waive 2 players in aftermath of blockbuster James Harden trade
- Report: Cavs acquire Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince in blockbuster James Harden deal
- Report: Cavs helping Kevin Porter Jr. ‘get his life together before putting him on the court’
- Report: Cavs reveal MRI results of Collin Sexton’s latest injury
- Report: Cavs considered adding Jeremy Lin before signing Yogi Ferrell
- Kevin Porter Jr. highlights relationship with Carmelo Anthony as he remains away from Cavs
- Report: Steve Nash continues to have no update on Kyrie Irving’s mysterious absence from Nets
Cavs News: J.R. Smith Hoping for Trade Out of Cleveland
- Updated: November 1, 2018
Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com reported the fairly surprising development on Thursday morning.
“Cleveland Cavaliers shooting guard JR Smith said he is hoping for a trade.
“Smith entered this season in a precarious spot, with the front office telling him playing time would be sporadic. Smith played four total minutes in the first three games before head coach Tyronn Lue — fired Sunday morning — put him back in the rotation for the fourth and fifth games of the season.”
Fedor went on to explain that earlier this season, Cavs general manager Koby Altman gave Smith the option of taking leave while he remained out of the rotation. While Smith initially expressed interest in remaining a veteran voice of leadership in the locker room, it seems his interests and desires have since changed.
It’s not a huge surprise why. So far this season Smith is averaging just 12.0 minutes per game, and has been a healthy scratch in three of the Cavs’ seven total matchups.
It seems the lovable guard’s time in Cleveland may be coming to an end. Whether or not there is a viable trade market for the 14-year veteran remains to be seen.