- Darius Garland Reacts to Recording His First Career Double-Double
- Report: Cavs Apply for Disabled Player Exception in Wake of Dylan Windler Injury
- Former Cavs Head Coach Tyronn Lue Admits He Wishes He Were Still in Cleveland
- Report: Paul George to Miss Tuesday’s Game vs. Cavs
- Kevin Love Preaches Positivity Amid Recent Cavs Success: ‘We’re Definitely Playing Better Now’
- Darius Garland Passes Kyrie Irving in Meaningful Stat for Cavs Rookie
- Video: Tristan Thompson Dunks on LeBron James, Proceeds to Stare Him Down
- Cavs News: Dylan Windler to Miss Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- John Beilein Gushes Over ‘Tremendous Growth’ From This Season’s Cavs
- Cavs Veterans Offer Incredible Praise for Collin Sexton and Darius Garland
John Beilein Heaps Heavy Praise on Matthew Dellavedova: ‘Like Having a Coach on the Floor’
- Updated: November 7, 2019
"Having (@matthewdelly) in the game all the time is like having a coach on the floor."
Coach @JohnBeilein praises the Aussie's leadership.
WATCH MORE → https://t.co/wERN8tRuH6 pic.twitter.com/f7Au2lDPRo
The 29-year-old Dellavedova’s all-out style is one reason that the one-time undrafted free agent has managed to stay in the NBA for what’s now his seventh season.
During Dellavedova’s time in the NBA, his offensive contributions have been modest, but his ability to handle the ball and offer aggressive defense have been highly valued. That was evident during his first three seasons with the Cavaliers from 2013 to 2016.
After the Cavs won the NBA title in 2016, Dellavedova left to sign a deal with his former team, the Milwaukee Bucks. Last December, the Bucks traded Dellavedova back to the Cavaliers.
Dellavedova’s leadership offers both Beilein and the Cavs plenty of value with the team now in the midst of a major rebuilding project. That’s especially true given the fact that the Cavaliers have three rookie guards, as well as second-year man Collin Sexton, who can learn from the Australian native.
Exactly how long Beilein has Dellavedova as his coach on the floor is unknown, since Dellavedova will once again be a free agent at the end of the 2019-20 season. There have been rumors about the Cavaliers trading the veteran before the February deadline, and if that occurs, Beilein will need to fill the leadership hole left by his absence.