- Steve Kerr Heavily Praises Cavs Upon Unprecedented Hiring of Lindsay Gottlieb
- Cavs Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers Considering Dealing No. 5 Pick to Atlanta Hawks
- Report: Cavs Make Groundbreaking Hire With Latest Addition to Staff
- Report: Cavs Still Exploring Ways to Trade for No. 3 Pick to Draft R.J. Barrett
- Video: Kevin Love Discusses If He’s Open to Leaving Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Cavs Held Private Workout, Had Dinner With Jarrett Culver on Monday
- How Cavs Could Land No. 3 Pick By Facilitating Anthony Davis Trade to Knicks
- Channing Frye Gives Hilarious Take on Kawhi Leonard
- Kevin Love Gives Bold Prediction on Rest of NBA Finals
- Cavs Fans Quickly Shut Down SportsCenter’s ‘Fact’ About Toronto Raptors
Report: Kevin Love Working to Establish Foundation Centered on Mental Health
- Updated: August 24, 2018
He has proven to be an incredibly brave voice for professional athletes dealing with anxiety and other mental illnesses. It now seems he is turning his focus to help those who aren’t lucky enough to play professional basketball, but struggle with mental illness just the same.
In a recent interview with ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan, Love revealed his intention to start a foundation focused on helping youth struggling with mental illness.
“Love says he’s in the process of establishing a foundation centered on mental health with an emphasis on helping young boys,” MacMullen wrote. “He is drawn to others who have struggled with mental health and recently watched a documentary on comedian Robin Williams, who killed himself in 2014. Love was devastated by the recent death of celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain and was in the process of pitching a basketball show to The Players’ Tribune based on Bourdain’s format of ‘Parts Unknown.'”
Love suffered an anxiety attack during the Cavs’ Nov. 5 loss to the Atlanta Hawks and since then has been very open about his struggles with anxiety. It seems clear that he is committed to doing his part to help others cope with the same ailments.
This offseason, several NBA players have proven just how impactful they can be in their community.
Earlier this summer, Love’s former teammate LeBron James helped open a brand new school for at-risk youth in Akron, Ohio. It now seems like Love will be carrying the torch of community outreach as well.