- 4 Players Cavs Should Look at With No. 5 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft
- Magic Johnson Says Los Angeles Lakers Should Pursue Kyrie Irving in Free Agency
- Report: Cavs Hire J.B. Bickerstaff as Associate Head Coach
- Report: Cavs ‘Really Want’ R.J. Barrett, Will Try to Maneuver to Make It Happen
- Report: Cavs Will ‘Undoubtedly’ Try to Get Another 1st-Round Pick for 2019 NBA Draft
- Report: Teams ‘More Wary’ of Pursuing Kyrie Irving This Offseason
- Giannis Antetokounmpo Admits Eastern Conference Easier Now That LeBron James Is Gone
- Video: Collin Sexton Seen Coaching and Guiding Youngsters in Philippines
- Here’s Why the Cavs Might Still End Up With R.J. Barrett on Draft Night
- Report: Cavs to Meet With Duke University’s Cam Reddish
Cavs News: Cavaliers Acquire Channing Frye in Three-Team Trade
- Updated: February 18, 2016
The Cleveland Cavaliers have traded for veteran Orlando Magic forward Channing Frye in a three-way deal that includes the Portland Trail Blazers and ends the Cavalier careers of veteran forward/center Anderson Varejao and Jared Cunningham.
The deal, which was noted by Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal, has Cleveland dealing Cunningham and a second-round pick (acquired from the Trail Blazers) to Orlando in exchange for Frye. Meanwhile, Varejao and a conditional first-round selection will be sent to Portland. Cunningham and Varejao are then expected to be released, with NBA rules preventing them from re-joining the Cavaliers for one year.
The rumored deal for Frye has been prominently discussed within the last few days, with the Los Angeles Clippers a strong contender for Frye’s services. However, the Clippers and Magic were unable to come to an agreement, which allowed the Cavaliers to make the deal.
Cleveland will be Frye’s fifth team in 10 seasons of NBA play and has two years remaining on a contract he signed in 2014. He’s currently averaging 5.2 points and 3.2 rebounds, but has connected on 48 of his 121 three-point attempts this year, good for a 39.7 shooting percentage.
Given the late transaction, Frye’s first appearance in a Cavs uniform won’t take place until Sunday afternoon’s game in Oklahoma City.