- Cavs News: LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love Voted Best Cavaliers Ever
- Kevin Love Gives Props to LeBron James Paying Tribute to Nipsey Hussle
- Tristan Thompson Says City of Cleveland Has Best Sports Fans
- Report: Kevin Love and Charlamagne tha God to Collaborate on Mental Health Talk
- Report: Cavs From 2016 Championship Team Wore Rings for Fred McLeod’s Funeral
- Cleveland Indians Honor Fred McLeod With Moment of Silence Before Game
- J.R. Smith Pays Respect to Shaun Livingston After He Announces Retirement
- Report: Cavs Insider Ranks Team’s 5 Most Valuable Trade Pieces
- Sports Illustrated Ranks Kevin Love in Top 50 of Best NBA Players of 2020 List
- Ben Simmons Clowns Darius Garland’s NBA 2K20 Player via Social Media
Cavs News: NBA Rookies Predicting Collin Sexton to Win Rookie of the Year
- Updated: August 21, 2018
When the Cleveland Cavaliers selected point guard Collin Sexton as the eighth overall pick in the NBA draft two months ago, they had high expectations for the University of Alabama product. If the opinions of Sexton’s fellow rookies are of any indication, those expectations will be met with a share of the league’s 2019 Kia Rookie of the Year award.
John Schuhmann of NBA.com reported the results of the league’s annual survey of rookies. The voting shows that this talented group believes that when the award is presented next spring, Sexton should be sharing the top rookie accolades with Phoenix Suns rookie DeAndre Ayton. Both players received 18 percent of the vote, with six other players garnering at least six percent of the vote.
The survey also asked a number of different questions, with seven percent of the rookies believing that Sexton will have the best career among this select group. In addition, six percent consider him to be the best defender, while nine percent point to him as the best playmaker.
When the rookies were asked to name their favorite player, 29 percent of them named former Cavs forward LeBron James. The next closest players are both on the Golden State Warriors: Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant, each collecting a distant nine percent of the vote. Unfortunately, an on-court pairing of Sexton and James with the Cavaliers won’t be possible due to James’ departure in free agency to the Los Angeles Lakers last month.
The opinions of rookies haven’t always offered the best barometer about what lies ahead during the upcoming season. That’s because the only time that they’ve correctly picked the Rookie of the Year was in 2007, when Durant was their choice. Still, Cavs fans got a glimpse during Las Vegas Summer League of what Sexton can do on the court. Their hope is that such success continues amid the everyday rigors of his first season.