- Video: J.R. Smith Seen Viciously Beating Up Kid for Breaking His Car Window
- Report: Cavs Trying to Drill 2 Key Values Into Kevin Porter Jr. to Help Him Realize His ‘Immense Potential’
- Video: J.R. Smith Says He Beat White Kid’s A– After Getting His Car Window Broken
- J.R. Smith and Jordan Clarkson Join Chaotic Protests in Los Angeles
- Report: Cavs Will Not Shy Away From Drafting LaMelo Ball Despite Being Guard-Heavy
- Report: Cavs, Warriors, Wolves, Hawks Not Likely to Be Included in NBA Resumption
- Report: Cavs Could Be in Jeopardy of Being One of NBA Teams Not Selected to Return
- Cavs Legend Talks Smack About Michael Jordan and His Bulls: ‘We Used to Wax Them’
- Report: Cavs Had Multiple Trade Offers for Tristan Thompson
- Report: Cavs Provide Updated Timetable on Dylan Windler’s Return From Injury
Cavs News: J.R. Smith Agrees to Push Back Contract Guarantee Date
- Updated: June 29, 2019
According to a report, Smith has agreed to push back the date that his contract becomes fully guaranteed until Aug. 1, 2019.
The original date in which his contract was set to become fully guaranteed was this Sunday.
JR Smith agreed to push his guarantee date to August 1st, giving the Cavaliers more time to try and trade him — a league source said
— Joe Vardon (@joevardon) June 29, 2019
This is hugely beneficial for the Cavs. The reason why is because it gives them much more time to find a trade partner that is interested in trading for Smith and subsequently cutting him to save cap space.
This will allow teams that are interested in expanding their cap space more time to consider trading for Smith as the free-agency and trade markets heat up.
Hopefully, this move results in the Cavs netting a large return for Smith.
If it doesn’t, it is likely that the Cavs will simply release the veteran guard before the first day of August rolls around.