- Report: LaMelo Ball has no plans to meet with Cavs ahead of 2020 NBA Draft
- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
Cavs News: J.R. Smith Agrees to Push Back Contract Guarantee Date
- Updated: June 29, 2019
According to a report, Smith has agreed to push back the date that his contract becomes fully guaranteed until Aug. 1, 2019.
The original date in which his contract was set to become fully guaranteed was this Sunday.
JR Smith agreed to push his guarantee date to August 1st, giving the Cavaliers more time to try and trade him — a league source said
— Joe Vardon (@joevardon) June 29, 2019
This is hugely beneficial for the Cavs. The reason why is because it gives them much more time to find a trade partner that is interested in trading for Smith and subsequently cutting him to save cap space.
This will allow teams that are interested in expanding their cap space more time to consider trading for Smith as the free-agency and trade markets heat up.
Hopefully, this move results in the Cavs netting a large return for Smith.
If it doesn’t, it is likely that the Cavs will simply release the veteran guard before the first day of August rolls around.