- Jordan Clarkson Sings Praises for NBA in Reaction to Russell Westbrook Trade
- Cavs Head Coach John Beilein Reveals Why Dylan Windler Will Succeed in NBA
- Former Cavs Teammate Discusses Kyrie Irving’s Personality: He’s ‘Misunderstood’
- Report: Cleveland Cavaliers Could Be Involved in Russell Westbrook Trade With Miami Heat
- Report: Kevin Porter Jr. to Give Cavs ‘Rare’ Discount on Rookie Contract
- Richard Jefferson Asks Kevin Love for Pictures of His Girlfriend Kate Bock
- Larry Nance Jr. ‘Happy as Hell’ With Cavs’ Offseason, Expects to Be ‘Problem’ for Opponents
- Former Cavs Player Outraged After ESPN Analysts Count Out LeBron James and Lakers
- Here’s What the Portland Trail Blazers Could Offer in a Trade for Kevin Love
- Darius Garland Details How ‘Camaraderie Is Building Already’ Between Him and Collin Sexton
Cavs News: J.R. Smith Agrees to Push Back Contract Guarantee Date
- Updated: June 29, 2019
According to a report, Smith has agreed to push back the date that his contract becomes fully guaranteed until Aug. 1, 2019.
The original date in which his contract was set to become fully guaranteed was this Sunday.
JR Smith agreed to push his guarantee date to August 1st, giving the Cavaliers more time to try and trade him — a league source said
— Joe Vardon (@joevardon) June 29, 2019
This is hugely beneficial for the Cavs. The reason why is because it gives them much more time to find a trade partner that is interested in trading for Smith and subsequently cutting him to save cap space.
This will allow teams that are interested in expanding their cap space more time to consider trading for Smith as the free-agency and trade markets heat up.
Hopefully, this move results in the Cavs netting a large return for Smith.
If it doesn’t, it is likely that the Cavs will simply release the veteran guard before the first day of August rolls around.