- Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert Pens Emotional Statement After Passing of Fred McLeod
- Austin Carr Can’t Hold Back Tears When Discussing Partnership With Fred McLeod
- Kevin Durant Says He Was Never One of Warriors, Calls Kyrie Irving ‘Best Friend’ in Entire League
- LeBron James, Channing Frye, and Cavs Players Respond to Passing of Fred McLeod
- Report: Cavs Mourn Passing of Play-By-Play Announcer Fred McLeod
- Cavs Rumors: Tristan Thompson Got Into Heated Altercation With Kanye West
- Darius Garland Impresses Both Ben Simmons and Renowned NBA Trainer With ‘Unlimited’ Range
- Cedi Osman Hits Buzzer-Beater, Dominates World Cup Game
- Report: Anderson Varejao Hints He’s Interested in Coming Back to Cavs
- Former NBA Big Man Thinks LeBron James, Cavs Prepared for Spurs Over Warriors in 2015
Cavs News: J.R. Smith Agrees to Push Back Contract Guarantee Date
- Updated: June 29, 2019
According to a report, Smith has agreed to push back the date that his contract becomes fully guaranteed until Aug. 1, 2019.
The original date in which his contract was set to become fully guaranteed was this Sunday.
JR Smith agreed to push his guarantee date to August 1st, giving the Cavaliers more time to try and trade him — a league source said
— Joe Vardon (@joevardon) June 29, 2019
This is hugely beneficial for the Cavs. The reason why is because it gives them much more time to find a trade partner that is interested in trading for Smith and subsequently cutting him to save cap space.
This will allow teams that are interested in expanding their cap space more time to consider trading for Smith as the free-agency and trade markets heat up.
Hopefully, this move results in the Cavs netting a large return for Smith.
If it doesn’t, it is likely that the Cavs will simply release the veteran guard before the first day of August rolls around.