- Report: John Beilein Expected to Forfeit Nearly $20M to Leave Cavs Coaching Job
- Collin Sexton Says His Game Has Improved in ‘Every Aspect’ Since Entering NBA
- Collin Sexton Discusses Close Relationship With Chris Paul, Says He Talks to Him Every Week
- Kendrick Perkins Takes Jab at Kyrie Irving Replacing Pau Gasol as NBPA Vice President
- Cavs Rumors: J.B. Bickerstaff Expected to Replace Head Coach John Beilein
- Report: John Beilein Has Become ‘Unhappy’ and ‘Miserable’ as Cavs Head Coach
- Report: John Beilein Expected to Step Down as Cavs Head Coach
- Video: Kevin Love Shares Powerful Words About Depression Alongside Barack Obama
- Darius Garland Being Compared to Stephen Curry and Damian Lillard
- Video: Collin Sexton Seen Putting in Additional Work in After 2020 Rising Stars Game
Report: Cleveland Cavaliers to Meet With San Antonio Spurs Coach Today
- Updated: May 8, 2019
The Cleveland Cavaliers currently remain focused on hiring a new head coach, with a number of candidate interviews having already taken place.
A new report indicates that the Cavs on Wednesday are interviewing San Antonio Spurs assistant Ettore Messina.
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) May 8, 2019
If hired, the 60-year-old Messina would take over a team coming off a 19-63 season and in the midst of a lengthy rebuilding project.
Yet his resume as assistant under Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich for the past five seasons, coupled with his extensive experience at the international level, offers a candidate who brings a lot to the table.
Back in 2008, Messina was named one of the EuroLeague’s 10 greatest all-time coaches and has won multiple Coach of the Year accolades in Europe. Among his stops along the way have been stints in Russia and Italy. In the latter case, his consistent coaching excellence resulted in him being inducted in 2009 into the Italian Basketball Hall of Fame.
The Spurs have averaged more than 50 wins during the five seasons that Messina has served as an assistant, reaching the postseason each year. That sustained success is why the Cavaliers have also secured permission from the Spurs to interview, Popovich’s lead assistant, Ime Udoka.
The time frame for the Cavaliers to hire a new head coach is unknown, with the team offering no hints as to when that final decision will be made.