- Tristan Thompson Says He Learned How to Lead From LeBron James
- Cavs Member Says Current Locker Room ‘Better’ Than That of 2016 Championship Squad
- Kevin Love Says Cavs Feeling ‘Pretty Damn Good’ Despite Loss to 76ers
- Tristan Thompson Talks Trash to 76ers Bench After Hitting 3-Pointer
- Report: 76ers Could Be Without Multiple All-Stars for Tuesday’s Game vs. Cavs
- Report: Knicks Owner James Dolan ‘Ordered’ Front Office to Address Media After Blowout Loss to Cavs
- John Beilein and Kevin Love Applaud Tristan Thompson for Taking on Leadership Role This Season
- Report: New York Knicks in Misery After Blowout Loss to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Tristan Thompson Says Cavs Are Seeking to Make Playoffs This Season
- Report: Michael Jordan Once Destroyed Cavs After Drinking 10 Bud Lights
Report: Cleveland Cavaliers to Meet With San Antonio Spurs Coach Today
- Updated: May 8, 2019
The Cleveland Cavaliers currently remain focused on hiring a new head coach, with a number of candidate interviews having already taken place.
A new report indicates that the Cavs on Wednesday are interviewing San Antonio Spurs assistant Ettore Messina.
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) May 8, 2019
If hired, the 60-year-old Messina would take over a team coming off a 19-63 season and in the midst of a lengthy rebuilding project.
Yet his resume as assistant under Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich for the past five seasons, coupled with his extensive experience at the international level, offers a candidate who brings a lot to the table.
Back in 2008, Messina was named one of the EuroLeague’s 10 greatest all-time coaches and has won multiple Coach of the Year accolades in Europe. Among his stops along the way have been stints in Russia and Italy. In the latter case, his consistent coaching excellence resulted in him being inducted in 2009 into the Italian Basketball Hall of Fame.
The Spurs have averaged more than 50 wins during the five seasons that Messina has served as an assistant, reaching the postseason each year. That sustained success is why the Cavaliers have also secured permission from the Spurs to interview, Popovich’s lead assistant, Ime Udoka.
The time frame for the Cavaliers to hire a new head coach is unknown, with the team offering no hints as to when that final decision will be made.