- Video: Collin Sexton Seen Coaching and Guiding Youngsters in Philippines
- Here’s Why the Cavs Might Still End Up With R.J. Barrett on Draft Night
- Report: Cavs to Meet With Duke University’s Cam Reddish
- Cavs Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers to Consider 2 Wild Cards With 5th Pick in Upcoming Draft
- Report: Darius Garland Did Not Meet With Cavs at NBA Draft Combine
- Channing Frye Explains Why He’s Excited About Cavs Landing 5th Pick in NBA Draft
- The Ringer’s Justin Verrier Says Cavs Getting 5th Pick Is ‘Comeuppance’ for Tanking Season
- Report: Cavs New Head Coach Personally Called All His Players by Phone on Tuesday
- David Griffin Reveals Why He Wanted Koby Altman and Cavs to Get 1st Pick in Draft
- Report: Zion Williamson Didn’t Want Cavs to Land 1st Overall Draft Pick
No. 8 Pick Collin Sexton Makes Immediate Pitch to Keep LeBron James in Cleveland
- Updated: June 21, 2018
Sexton has been discussed as a possible option for the Cavs for quite some time, and just moments after Sexton was drafted, he seemed ready to share a message to four-time MVP and potential future teammate LeBron James.
— ESPN (@espn) June 22, 2018
Leading up to the draft, a report had indicated that James and his camp saw Sexton as one of the most compelling prospects in the draft.
Whether Cavs general manager Koby Altman and owner Dan Gilbert opted to pick Sexton in an effort to persuade James to re-sign or because they truly saw him as the best prospect on the board is unclear. One this that is clear, however, is that the Cavs got one seriously talented player.
Sexton is a ball-dominant point guard with elite athleticism and the competitive spirit necessary to succeeed in the league. In his one season with the Crimson Tide, he averaged 19.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game.
It’s impossible to predict whether or not the Cavs drafting Sexton will be enough to convince James to re-sign with Cleveland. If it’s not, the young point guard will likely go from being a talented role player to the young face of an organization very soon.