- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
- J.R. Smith says Cavs championship team was ‘grittier,’ ‘nastier,’ and played ‘harder’ than Lakers
- Report: Celtics monitoring ‘uncomfortable’ contract talks between Cavs and Andre Drummond
Report: ESPN Insider Explains Why George Hill Is Hesitant to Join Cavs This Season
- Updated: January 30, 2018
One of the most consistent rumors involving a possible Cleveland Cavaliers trade involves the team trading for Sacramento Kings veteran guard George Hill. That possible deal hasn’t materialized for previously unknown reasons, though it now appears to be a financially based problem that’s causing the holdup.
Brian Windhorst appeared on ESPN Radio and indicated that a potential buyout was the source of the problem:
“George Hill, they didn’t want to buy him out this year,” Windhorst said. “What they wanted to do was protect themselves in the event that, if LeBron James left, whether George Hill would be willing to take a buyout on the $20 million he’s owed on his contract after this season.”
That $20 million breaks down to $19 million next season and at least $1 million for the 2019-20 campaign. The entire amount for that final year is actually $18 million.
The Cavaliers continue to search for veteran players that can help them in the final two months of the regular season and, more importantly, in the postseason. Hill is just one of a number of possibilities that have been rumored, with another being Los Angeles Clippers center DeAndre Jordan.