- Larry Nance Jr. Claims All NBA Players Are Already ‘Out of Basketball Shape’
- Kevin Love Speculates How NBA Will Return for Rest of 2019-20 Season
- Report: Andre Drummond to Face Off Against DeMarcus Cousins in NBA 2K Tournament
- Larry Nance Jr.’s Hilarious Reason for Wanting to Resume Season Has Nothing to Do With Cavs
- Beth McLeod Touched by LeBron James’ Thoughts and Prayers
- Matthew Dellavedova Takes Playful Shot at Random Appearance of Cedi Osman
- Darius Garland Sends Somber Message Due to Lull in NBA Season
- Larry Nance Jr.: ‘I Have Zero Interest in Anything Basketball-Related Right Now’
- Report: Cavs’ Strength and Conditioning Trainers Keeping Team Ready
- Kyrie Irving Reveals Incredible Advice Kobe Bryant Gave Him Midway Through 2016 NBA Finals
Tristan Thompson Seen Guiding Darius Garland Through Interview After Saturday’s Win
- Updated: December 30, 2019
His leadership has been present in both the Cavs’ failure and success so far this season and was witnessed as recently as this past weekend.
Following the Cavs’ 94-88 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday, Thompson was seen helping rookie Darius Garland address the media.
“As reporters trickled out of the visitor’s locker room inside Target Center late Saturday night, Thompson was guiding Garland through an interview, helping him with responses,” Cleveland.com’s Chris Fedor wrote. “As Thompson likes to say, it’s his way of ‘paying it forward.’ He feels a responsibility to do that, acting like the vets around him did when he first entered the NBA nearly a decade ago.”
It’s instances like these that may end up making Thompson the lone indispensable veteran currently on the Cavs’ roster. While his expiring contract may force the team’s front office to deal Thompson prior to the February trade deadline, it will not be an easy decision to make.
Over the last ten days, the Cavs have won four of their five matchups. As always, Thompson has served as a steady presence on both sides of court.
With Thompson a clear trade candidate, it will be fascinating to see who will take the reins as a leader for this team if a deal does come to pass. If it does not, it could be a sign that the Cavs intend to sign Thompson to an extension this offseason.
If they do that, it’s quite likely that Thompson would remain a Cavs player for his entire career, something that is increasingly rare in today’s NBA.