- Cavs Rumors: Kevin Love ‘Prefers’ Trade to Portland Trail Blazers
- Kevin Porter Jr. Rips Cavs Defense, Says ‘We Keep Ball-Watching’
- Tristan Thompson’s Statement After Cavs Loss: ‘Rather Lose Like This Than Any Other F——— Way’
- Report: John Beilein Reached Out to 76ers Coach on How to Deal With Struggling Cavs
- Report: Portland Trail Blazers Could Package Hassan Whiteside, 1st-Round Pick for Kevin Love
- Report: Denver Nuggets Could Package Multiple Players in Trade for Kevin Love
- Report: NBA Execs Believe Kevin Love Deal Unlikely to Net Cavs More Than 1st-Round Pick
- Report: Kevin Love Prefers Trade to Title Contender
- Video: Philadelphia 76ers Announcer Rips Apart Kevin Porter Jr. During Broadcast
- Report: Members of Cavs Organization Call Out Kevin Love’s ‘Lousy Body Language’
Cavs Veterans Praise Darius Garland as ‘Pure Point Guard’ After Preseason Game
- Updated: October 8, 2019
As the No. 5 overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, Cleveland Cavaliers rookie Darius Garland is expected to make an early impact for the rebuilding team. Following the Cavs’ first preseason game on Monday, it appears that Garland is living up to the expectations.
After Monday night’s 120-89 win over Club Atletico San Lorenzo de Almagro, Cavs forward Larry Nance Jr. praised the rookie guard for being an excellent playmaker.
“D.G. is the definition of a pure point guard,” Nance said. “He sees the game so effortlessly and just kind of controls the pace.”
Fellow guard Jordan Clarkson was just as impressed with Garland’s floor game.
“Darius came in there and did a good job controlling the pace, getting open shots, moving the ball,” Clarkson said.
In 14 minutes of action, Garland finished the game with nine points on 4-of-4 shooting to go along with two assists and one rebound. Though he nailed every shot he took, all the Cavs could talk about was how good he looked at the point guard position.
“I think he’s probably been a point guard his whole life, running the show,” Cavs head coach John Beilein said.
If Garland continues to show that he’s a better playmaker than advertised, then the Cavs may have their point guard of the future.