- Disturbing photos emerge of Delonte West begging for money in Dallas
- Photos leaked of ‘hulked up’ Collin Sexton from Cavs minicamp
- Kevin Garnett schools LeBron James fans ‘who don’t know s–t’ about Cavs’ 2010 playoff collapse
- Report: Cavs source identifies several improvements in Darius Garland’s game
- Report: Cavs internally comparing Collin Sexton to Donovan Mitchell and Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Cavs will look for ‘defensive-minded players’ in NBA free agency
- Report: Cavs confidently view J.B. Bickerstaff as ‘head coach of the future’
- Cavs Rumors: Collin Sexton Looking ‘Monstrous’ and ‘Huge’ After Working on Body During Hiatus
- Here’s the Latest Update on ‘Mutual Interest’ Between Tristan Thompson and the Cavs
- Report: Darius Garland ‘Feels Snubbed and Disrespected’ by Exclusion From All-Rookie Teams
J.R. Smith Shares ‘Free at Last’ Photo on Social Media After Being Waived by Cavs
- Updated: July 16, 2019
On his Instagram story, Smith shared his response to Dallas Mavericks star Tim Hardaway Jr.’s post about the former Cavs shooting guard’s newfound freedom.
"Free at last"
— Bleacher Report NBA (@BR_NBA) July 16, 2019
Hardaway’s words were quite hilarious, and Smith is definitely enjoying his freedom after being in NBA limbo since November 2018 when the 15-year veteran agreed to part ways with the Cavs.
Smith was released by the Cavs before his $15.7 million contract for next season became fully guaranteed. Once he clears waivers, Smith will become a free agent and could end up with a contender before the 2019-20 regular season begins.
For the Cavs, they freed themselves of excess financial baggage after releasing Smith. The Cavs will now move below the luxury tax this season after waiving him and stretching his guaranteed $4.4 million payout.
Though Smith had often been maligned for his costly mistakes on the court, he is nonetheless a beloved figure in Cleveland, as evidenced by the invitation he received to play in the recent All-Star Celebrity Softball Game.
He will surely be missed by Cavs fans, who recognize the value he brought to the team, especially during the 2016 championship season.