- Report: Cavs Make Groundbreaking Hire With Latest Addition to Staff
- Report: Cavs Still Exploring Ways to Trade for No. 3 Pick to Draft R.J. Barrett
- Video: Kevin Love Discusses If He’s Open to Leaving Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Cavs Held Private Workout, Had Dinner With Jarrett Culver on Monday
- How Cavs Could Land No. 3 Pick By Facilitating Anthony Davis Trade to Knicks
- Channing Frye Gives Hilarious Take on Kawhi Leonard
- Kevin Love Gives Bold Prediction on Rest of NBA Finals
- Cavs Fans Quickly Shut Down SportsCenter’s ‘Fact’ About Toronto Raptors
- Kevin Love’s Emphatic Reaction After Seeing Kevin Durant Go Down With Injury in Game 5
- R.J. Barrett Says He’s Only Willing to Meet and Work Out With New York Knicks
Report: Cavs Could Trade Up For R.J. Barrett With Knicks
- Updated: May 31, 2019
Though the Cleveland Cavaliers fell to the No. 5 draft spot in the 2019 NBA Draft Lottery, it doesn’t mean they’ll stay there.
According to a Sunday report, the Cavs are reportedly making their interest in Duke University star R.J. Barrett known as the New York Knicks are exploring trading back from their current No. 3 overall pick.
Knicks exploring trading back. Cavs making their interest in RJ Barrett known. JR Smith's contract. this is all very spicy
— Jordan Zirm (@clevezirm) May 31, 2019
It is currently assumed that Barrett will be available at the third pick, as the New Orleans Pelicans are expected to draft Zion Williamson with the first pick, and the Memphis Grizzlies seem to be zeroing in on Ja Morant with the second.
As J.R. Smith’s contract, it could play a pivotal role in a potential deal thanks to the fact that his expiring contract is quite attractive to teams that are looking to shed money in order to become major players in the free-agency market.
It is unclear if a trade including Smith and the Cavs’ No. 5 overall pick would be enough to move up two spots in the draft, but there are other assets that they could utilize if they felt a deal could get done.
Whatever happens, it is very clear that the Cavs are serious about improving their roster through the draft. Whether that means trading up or simply picking the best player available at their current pick remains to be seen.
There is little doubt that if the Cavs were able to move up to the No. 3 pick, they would get the chance to draft a player with undeniable star potential who could make a strong impact on day one of his NBA career.