- 4 Players Cavs Should Look at With No. 5 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft
- Magic Johnson Says Los Angeles Lakers Should Pursue Kyrie Irving in Free Agency
- Report: Cavs Hire J.B. Bickerstaff as Associate Head Coach
- Report: Cavs ‘Really Want’ R.J. Barrett, Will Try to Maneuver to Make It Happen
- Report: Cavs Will ‘Undoubtedly’ Try to Get Another 1st-Round Pick for 2019 NBA Draft
- Report: Teams ‘More Wary’ of Pursuing Kyrie Irving This Offseason
- Giannis Antetokounmpo Admits Eastern Conference Easier Now That LeBron James Is Gone
- Video: Collin Sexton Seen Coaching and Guiding Youngsters in Philippines
- Here’s Why the Cavs Might Still End Up With R.J. Barrett on Draft Night
- Report: Cavs to Meet With Duke University’s Cam Reddish
Larry Drew Emphasizes Critical Aspect of Collin Sexton’s Game That Needs Improvement
- Updated: March 15, 2019
In the last week, Sexton has reached impressive rookie milestones within the organization, including surpassing Kyrie Irving for most made 3-pointers, and matching LeBron James for most consecutive games with 20-point performances.
Cavs head coach Larry Drew recently discussed one aspect of his offensive arsenal where he would like to see improvement.
“Collin is a scoring point guard,” Drew said. “He likes to score and can score, but sometimes you have to get your other guys rolling. Get the assists up. That’s no secret, that’s not one of his fortes. But he’s getting better. Really happy with where his growth is.”
Sexton is averaging 15.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, and just 2.9 assists per game so far this season.
While his scoring average from the first month of the season to the current month has exploded from 12.0 points per game to 21.3 points, his assists average has improved marginally. Though he averaged 2.3 assists per game in his first month in the NBA, he has improved to just 3.1 assists per game in March.
Sexton has room to grow, but he is already proving to be a valuable asset in today’s league.
The way things are going, it seems he will be one of the center pieces that the team builds around in this new era of Cavs basketball.