- Isaiah Thomas Says Celtics Would Have Won Title If He Had Never Been Traded to Cavs
- Collin Sexton Credits Cavs Teammates After Reaching 6th Straight 23-Point Game
- Channing Frye Explains Why Detroit Pistons Are Going to Be Dangerous in Playoffs
- Dan Gilbert, Larry Drew, and Channing Frye Offer Huge Praise for Collin Sexton
- Report: Kevin Love Questionable vs. Detroit Pistons With New Injury
- Cedi Osman Sends Message to Team USA Amid FIBA World Cup Match
- Kyrie Irving Says LeBron James Was ‘Thirsty for Rebounds’ With Cavs
- Collin Sexton Breaks Cavs Rookie Record Set by LeBron James
- J.R. Smith Says He’s Beaten Kyrie Irving, Carmelo Anthony, Other All-Stars 1-on-1
- Kevin Love Speaks Out on Facing Dirk Nowitzki One Last Time
Larry Drew Emphasizes Critical Aspect of Collin Sexton’s Game That Needs Improvement
- Updated: March 15, 2019
In the last week, Sexton has reached impressive rookie milestones within the organization, including surpassing Kyrie Irving for most made 3-pointers, and matching LeBron James for most consecutive games with 20-point performances.
Cavs head coach Larry Drew recently discussed one aspect of his offensive arsenal where he would like to see improvement.
“Collin is a scoring point guard,” Drew said. “He likes to score and can score, but sometimes you have to get your other guys rolling. Get the assists up. That’s no secret, that’s not one of his fortes. But he’s getting better. Really happy with where his growth is.”
Sexton is averaging 15.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, and just 2.9 assists per game so far this season.
While his scoring average from the first month of the season to the current month has exploded from 12.0 points per game to 21.3 points, his assists average has improved marginally. Though he averaged 2.3 assists per game in his first month in the NBA, he has improved to just 3.1 assists per game in March.
Sexton has room to grow, but he is already proving to be a valuable asset in today’s league.
The way things are going, it seems he will be one of the center pieces that the team builds around in this new era of Cavs basketball.