- Kevin Porter Jr. shares scary, suicidal Instagram post as fans beg him to seek help
- Report: Cavs hoping to attend workout of top NBA draft prospect Devin Vassell
- Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Kevin Porter Jr. shouts out potential Cavs pick LaMelo Ball after huge announcement
- Iman Shumpert makes adamant pick between 2016 Cavs and 2020 Lakers
- Richard Jefferson takes hilarious shot at Giannis Antetokounmpo while comparing him to LeBron James
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson send huge congrats to ‘brother’ LeBron James for winning NBA title
- Andre Drummond campaigns for Cleveland Browns to give him shot at tight end
- Dylan Windler proceeds with huge life decision on Cavs home court
- Tristan Thompson shares threatening text LeBron James sent after Cavs lost Game 4 of 2016 finals
Dan Gilbert Calls Out Collin Sexton Haters, Praises Rookie on Social Media
- Updated: March 15, 2019
With Sexton currently in the midst of a strong run on the court, Gilbert took time to clap back at the rookie’s detractors.
Remember those noisemakers (and beat writers) attacking the young teenager (at the time) during his first few weeks in the NBA? Couldn’t be more proud of Collin. He grinds daily. Character, presence and talent. Kid is the real deal… https://t.co/XfrUeI161F
When LeBron James left in free agency last July, Gilbert was left with the challenge of trying to move on from that devastating loss for the second time in eight years. One of the chief pieces in that approach was Sexton, who had been selected by the Cavs in the NBA draft shortly before James’ departure.
In the early weeks of his rookie campaign, Sexton struggled to navigate his way in the challenging world of the NBA. Such struggles were expected, yet they brought with them derision from critics from afar.
Criticism is something that Gilbert has dealt with for much of his 14-year tenure as the Cavaliers’ primary owner, which allows him to have empathy for Sexton’s plight.
Yet with Sexton building on a strong February with an even more impressive March, it appears that both he and Gilbert are getting the last laugh. After scoring 23 points on Thursday, Sexton tied James’ rookie record for consecutive games scoring 20 points or more at four.
In addition, the rookie also broke Kyrie Irving’s team record for rookie 3-pointers in a season earlier in the week.
Building on this rough season will hopefully help Sexton improve his skills next season and beyond. That’s something that Gilbert has been hoping for since the team drafted Sexton with the eighth overall pick in the draft last June.