- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
- Report: Cavs waive 2 players in aftermath of blockbuster James Harden trade
- Report: Cavs acquire Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince in blockbuster James Harden deal
- Report: Cavs helping Kevin Porter Jr. ‘get his life together before putting him on the court’
- Report: Cavs reveal MRI results of Collin Sexton’s latest injury
- Report: Cavs considered adding Jeremy Lin before signing Yogi Ferrell
- Kevin Porter Jr. highlights relationship with Carmelo Anthony as he remains away from Cavs
- Report: Steve Nash continues to have no update on Kyrie Irving’s mysterious absence from Nets
Dan Gilbert Calls Out Collin Sexton Haters, Praises Rookie on Social Media
- Updated: March 15, 2019
With Sexton currently in the midst of a strong run on the court, Gilbert took time to clap back at the rookie’s detractors.
Remember those noisemakers (and beat writers) attacking the young teenager (at the time) during his first few weeks in the NBA? Couldn’t be more proud of Collin. He grinds daily. Character, presence and talent. Kid is the real deal… https://t.co/XfrUeI161F
When LeBron James left in free agency last July, Gilbert was left with the challenge of trying to move on from that devastating loss for the second time in eight years. One of the chief pieces in that approach was Sexton, who had been selected by the Cavs in the NBA draft shortly before James’ departure.
In the early weeks of his rookie campaign, Sexton struggled to navigate his way in the challenging world of the NBA. Such struggles were expected, yet they brought with them derision from critics from afar.
Criticism is something that Gilbert has dealt with for much of his 14-year tenure as the Cavaliers’ primary owner, which allows him to have empathy for Sexton’s plight.
Yet with Sexton building on a strong February with an even more impressive March, it appears that both he and Gilbert are getting the last laugh. After scoring 23 points on Thursday, Sexton tied James’ rookie record for consecutive games scoring 20 points or more at four.
In addition, the rookie also broke Kyrie Irving’s team record for rookie 3-pointers in a season earlier in the week.
Building on this rough season will hopefully help Sexton improve his skills next season and beyond. That’s something that Gilbert has been hoping for since the team drafted Sexton with the eighth overall pick in the draft last June.