- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
- Report: Cavs viewed Kevin Porter Jr. as ‘untouchable’ and considered him ‘most talented’ youngster on roster
- Report: Cavs send Kevin Porter Jr. to Rockets for 2nd-round draft pick
- Report: Jarrett Allen was talking trash to Nets about Collin Sexton before his shots even went in
- Cavs head coach issues striking comparison between Collin Sexton and Michael Jordan
- Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant give major props to Collin Sexton after he drops 42 points on Nets
- Video: Collin Sexton drills cold-blooded 3 in Kyrie Irving’s face to send game into double overtime
- Cavs unveil tribute video as Nets superstar Kyrie Irving returns to Cleveland
- Report: Kyrie Irving to officially start and play in Nets matchup vs. Cavs
Report: Cavs Blindsided by LeBron’s Decision to Join Lakers
- Updated: July 1, 2018
The stunning haste of LeBron James announcing that he was leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers to sign a four-year free agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers caught many off guard. It appears that chief among this group were the Cavaliers themselves, who apparently had no idea that any decision was forthcoming.
As of 8 pm, league sources said #Cavs were unaware of LeBron’s intentions.
— Sam Amico (@AmicoHoops) July 2, 2018
One of the reasons that the Cavaliers appeared to be so surprised was because the team’s general manager, Koby Altman, had spoken with James and his agent, Rich Paul, just after the free-agency process had begun on Sunday morning. Altman’s likely belief was that he would receive notification from someone connected to James about the ultimate decision, contact that apparently never took place.
Eight years ago, when James left under much more controversial circumstances, the Cavaliers’ front office was notified shortly before the superstar’s infamous “Decision” television special went on the air. That heads-up proved to be of little consolation to owner Dan Gilbert, who quickly released a bitter diatribe against James, a move that he later came to regret.
While the departure of James will help reduce the financial burden that Gilbert has dealt with concerning the team’s payroll, it also delivers a hit to the overall value of the franchise. From an on-court perspective, it also blows a huge hole in the team’s starting lineup that will be next-to-impossible to replace for the near future.