- LeBron James shares how much he misses Tristan Thompson after linking up with him
- Report: LaMelo Ball has no plans to meet with Cavs ahead of 2020 NBA Draft
- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
Report: Cavs Blindsided by LeBron’s Decision to Join Lakers
- Updated: July 1, 2018
The stunning haste of LeBron James announcing that he was leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers to sign a four-year free agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers caught many off guard. It appears that chief among this group were the Cavaliers themselves, who apparently had no idea that any decision was forthcoming.
As of 8 pm, league sources said #Cavs were unaware of LeBron’s intentions.
— Sam Amico (@AmicoHoops) July 2, 2018
One of the reasons that the Cavaliers appeared to be so surprised was because the team’s general manager, Koby Altman, had spoken with James and his agent, Rich Paul, just after the free-agency process had begun on Sunday morning. Altman’s likely belief was that he would receive notification from someone connected to James about the ultimate decision, contact that apparently never took place.
Eight years ago, when James left under much more controversial circumstances, the Cavaliers’ front office was notified shortly before the superstar’s infamous “Decision” television special went on the air. That heads-up proved to be of little consolation to owner Dan Gilbert, who quickly released a bitter diatribe against James, a move that he later came to regret.
While the departure of James will help reduce the financial burden that Gilbert has dealt with concerning the team’s payroll, it also delivers a hit to the overall value of the franchise. From an on-court perspective, it also blows a huge hole in the team’s starting lineup that will be next-to-impossible to replace for the near future.