- Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye Hilariously Recount Disrespectful Night at Madison Square Garden
- J.R. Smith Shows Growth and Maturity as He Avoids Airport Altercation
- Cavs News: Cleveland Cavaliers to Eliminate Cavaliers Girls Starting Next Season
- Tristan Thompson Supports LeBron James at His Brand New Clothing Launch
- Former Cavs Teammate Defends LeBron, Still Has ‘Full Trust’ He Will Lead Lakers to Championship
- Report: John Beilein Will Look to Improve Collin Sexton’s Efficiency
- Larry Nance Jr. Says Collin Sexton Should Have Made All-Rookie First Team
- Dan Gilbert Believes Kyrie Irving Will Leave Boston Celtics
- Dan Gilbert Speaks on LeBron James: ‘It All Revolves Around the Sun, Which Is Him’
- John Beilein Says Collin Sexton Is Big Reason Why He Joined Cavs
Report: Cavs Blindsided by LeBron’s Decision to Join Lakers
- Updated: July 1, 2018
The stunning haste of LeBron James announcing that he was leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers to sign a four-year free agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers caught many off guard. It appears that chief among this group were the Cavaliers themselves, who apparently had no idea that any decision was forthcoming.
As of 8 pm, league sources said #Cavs were unaware of LeBron’s intentions.
— Sam Amico (@AmicoHoops) July 2, 2018
One of the reasons that the Cavaliers appeared to be so surprised was because the team’s general manager, Koby Altman, had spoken with James and his agent, Rich Paul, just after the free-agency process had begun on Sunday morning. Altman’s likely belief was that he would receive notification from someone connected to James about the ultimate decision, contact that apparently never took place.
Eight years ago, when James left under much more controversial circumstances, the Cavaliers’ front office was notified shortly before the superstar’s infamous “Decision” television special went on the air. That heads-up proved to be of little consolation to owner Dan Gilbert, who quickly released a bitter diatribe against James, a move that he later came to regret.
While the departure of James will help reduce the financial burden that Gilbert has dealt with concerning the team’s payroll, it also delivers a hit to the overall value of the franchise. From an on-court perspective, it also blows a huge hole in the team’s starting lineup that will be next-to-impossible to replace for the near future.