- Cavs Coach Compares Draft Prospect Zion Williamson to Hall of Famer
- Report: Cavs Could Have 4 1st-Round Picks by June
- Kevin Durant’s response when asked if he thinks LeBron James is still NBA’s greatest
- Khloe Kardashian Breaks Up With Tristan Thompson After He Allegedly Cheats With Jordyn Woods
- Report: There’s ‘Internal Belief’ That Winning Basketball Could Be Coming Soon for Cavs
- Kirk Cousins Explains Why He ‘Totally Understands’ Why LeBron James Left Cavs
- Luka Doncic Pays Cedi Osman Ultimate Compliment After Rising Stars Challenge
- LeBron James Reveals Why Kyrie Irving’s Recent Phone Call Meant So Much to Him
- Rodney Hood Explains Why Playing in Cleveland Was So Rough Last Season
- Report: Former Cavs GM to Be ‘Likely Target’ in New Orleans Pelicans’ Search
Report: Isaiah Thomas Has Become a Personal Favorite of Dan Gilbert
- Updated: January 30, 2018
According to Ken Berger of Bleacher Report, Thomas has become one of Gilbert’s favorite players on Cleveland’s roster.
“Thomas has become a favorite of Gilbert, and they often exchange calls and text messages, a league source familiar with their relationship told B/R,” Berger wrote. “This isn’t necessarily unusual on a team with an owner who is as involved in the basketball side of things as Gilbert is. It also isn’t great for locker room chemistry, because the rest of the players know it.”
Gilbert playing favorites could be playing a factor when it comes to the reported divide within the Cavs’ locker room. Given LeBron James‘ mixed history with Gilbert, it could also be part of the reason why James was reportedly upset when the Cavs traded for the 5-foot-9 guard this past summer.
“LeBron just looks at everybody as a shill for Dan,” the league source said.
This report doesn’t bode well for a team that has struggled mightily as of late. Thomas has certainly played a role in those struggles and has yet to find his place in the locker room or on the court. That has not kept him from making news with his words on several different occasions. It’s possible that his relationship with Gilbert has emboldened him to speak out when he otherwise might have kept quiet.
Hopefully, Thomas, James, and the rest of the Cavs are able to overcome the recent drama and regain focus on what their mutual goal is for this season. Given their current issues, however, it’s unclear how likely that really is.