- Darius Garland Reacts in Disbelief to Police Killing of George Floyd
- Larry Nance Jr. Pays Respect to Kobe Bryant as He Shows Off Latest Cavs Workout
- Report: Cavs ‘Eager to Play’ as Hot Debate Regarding How NBA Should Return Continues
- Pelicans Rookie Declares LeBron James Buzzer-Beater Favorite Game-Winner in NBA History
- J.B. Bickerstaff on Collin Sexton: ‘You Will Not Find a Guy Who Is More Serious About His Game’
- Andre Drummond Leaves Waitress Stunned as He Leaves Enormous Tip on Check
- Kendrick Perkins Says James Harden Better All-Around Player Than Stephen Curry
- Report: International Club to Target Ante Zizic This Offseason
- Kevin Porter Jr. Sends Passionate Message to City of Cleveland
- Khloe Kardashian Sends NSFW Message to Woman Claiming to Be Mother of Tristan Thompson’s Son
Report: Dan Gilbert Prepared to Offer David Griffin Contract Extension
- Updated: May 17, 2017
The uncertain contract status of Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin is reportedly getting clearer with a report on Wednesday that Cavs owner Dan Gilbert is prepared to offer him a contract extension. The deal would involve a large increase in salary and a substantial new title.
Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net noted that the information comes one day after news that Gilbert had ignored a request by the Orlando Magic to speak with Griffin, whose contract ends at the end of this season. The support of Griffin’s staff and his past accomplishments, including the franchise’s first-ever NBA title, also played a role in Gilbert’s apparent move, according to Amico.
“Several in the Cavs organization and many opposing league executives told Amico Hoops they believe Gilbert has always intended to re-sign Griffin, and that Gilbert will hold a meeting with Griffin before anyone else.
“Also, several people under Griffin have made it known to ownership that they greatly admire their GM and the positive work environment he has created, sources said.
“Gilbert values these opinions and the strong atmosphere Griffin is credited with developing in both the locker room and team offices.”
Griffin has been rumored to be one of the top targets to take over basketball operations for the Magic, with the Atlanta Hawks also being mentioned as a potential landing spot.
Signing Griffin would also appease LeBron James, who has been vocal in his support of the general manager:
“It makes no sense why (Griffin) shouldn’t get an extension,” James said. “He’s pulled every move. He’s tried to make every move happen, to better this team to be able to compete for a championship.”
The news should also help reduce any distractions as the Cavs prepare to face the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 1 is slated for Wednesday night.