- Report: Cavs have begun exploring trade options for JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs offer major update on when Darius Garland and Collin Sexton could return
- Andre Drummond offers powerful message of support after Kevin Porter Jr. rejoins Cavs
- Former Cavs big man emphatically predicts team will trade Andre Drummond
- Report: Cavs-Wizards matchups on Sunday and Monday postponed due to COVID-19
- Report: Cavs received calls for Andre Drummond and JaVale McGee in aftermath of Jarrett Allen trade
- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
- Report: Cavs waive 2 players in aftermath of blockbuster James Harden trade
Report: Dan Gilbert Prepared to Offer David Griffin Contract Extension
- Updated: May 17, 2017
The uncertain contract status of Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin is reportedly getting clearer with a report on Wednesday that Cavs owner Dan Gilbert is prepared to offer him a contract extension. The deal would involve a large increase in salary and a substantial new title.
Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net noted that the information comes one day after news that Gilbert had ignored a request by the Orlando Magic to speak with Griffin, whose contract ends at the end of this season. The support of Griffin’s staff and his past accomplishments, including the franchise’s first-ever NBA title, also played a role in Gilbert’s apparent move, according to Amico.
“Several in the Cavs organization and many opposing league executives told Amico Hoops they believe Gilbert has always intended to re-sign Griffin, and that Gilbert will hold a meeting with Griffin before anyone else.
“Also, several people under Griffin have made it known to ownership that they greatly admire their GM and the positive work environment he has created, sources said.
“Gilbert values these opinions and the strong atmosphere Griffin is credited with developing in both the locker room and team offices.”
Griffin has been rumored to be one of the top targets to take over basketball operations for the Magic, with the Atlanta Hawks also being mentioned as a potential landing spot.
Signing Griffin would also appease LeBron James, who has been vocal in his support of the general manager:
“It makes no sense why (Griffin) shouldn’t get an extension,” James said. “He’s pulled every move. He’s tried to make every move happen, to better this team to be able to compete for a championship.”
The news should also help reduce any distractions as the Cavs prepare to face the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 1 is slated for Wednesday night.