- Report: Officer Suspended for Filming Delonte West While Shirtless and Handcuffed
- Kevin Love Says Collin Sexton Was ‘Pretty Hard on Himself’ During Loss to Knicks
- Former Cavs Player Delonte West Seen Getting Beat Down on Freeway
- Report: Cavs Sign Tyler Cook to 2nd 10-Day Contract
- Report: Some Cavs Players Still Question John Beilein’s Ability to Succeed in NBA
- Tristan Thompson Indicates Refs Were Wrong to Eject Him for Incident With Jae Crowder
- Tristan Thompson Gets Ejected for Slapping Jae Crowder’s Behind
- Jose Calderon Details LeBron James Breaking His Hand After Game 1 of 2018 NBA Finals
- Collin Sexton Says There Was a Lot of ‘Disrespect’ Amongst Cavs Players Early in Season
- Report: NBA Executives Believe Kevin Love Was Primary Voice Behind Criticism of John Beilein
Report: Dan Gilbert Prepared to Offer David Griffin Contract Extension
- Updated: May 17, 2017
The uncertain contract status of Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin is reportedly getting clearer with a report on Wednesday that Cavs owner Dan Gilbert is prepared to offer him a contract extension. The deal would involve a large increase in salary and a substantial new title.
Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net noted that the information comes one day after news that Gilbert had ignored a request by the Orlando Magic to speak with Griffin, whose contract ends at the end of this season. The support of Griffin’s staff and his past accomplishments, including the franchise’s first-ever NBA title, also played a role in Gilbert’s apparent move, according to Amico.
“Several in the Cavs organization and many opposing league executives told Amico Hoops they believe Gilbert has always intended to re-sign Griffin, and that Gilbert will hold a meeting with Griffin before anyone else.
“Also, several people under Griffin have made it known to ownership that they greatly admire their GM and the positive work environment he has created, sources said.
“Gilbert values these opinions and the strong atmosphere Griffin is credited with developing in both the locker room and team offices.”
Griffin has been rumored to be one of the top targets to take over basketball operations for the Magic, with the Atlanta Hawks also being mentioned as a potential landing spot.
Signing Griffin would also appease LeBron James, who has been vocal in his support of the general manager:
“It makes no sense why (Griffin) shouldn’t get an extension,” James said. “He’s pulled every move. He’s tried to make every move happen, to better this team to be able to compete for a championship.”
The news should also help reduce any distractions as the Cavs prepare to face the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 1 is slated for Wednesday night.