- Cavs superstar Kevin Love seen working out in New York with renowned trainer
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares scary, suicidal Instagram post as fans beg him to seek help
- Report: Cavs hoping to attend workout of top NBA draft prospect Devin Vassell
- Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Kevin Porter Jr. shouts out potential Cavs pick LaMelo Ball after huge announcement
- Iman Shumpert makes adamant pick between 2016 Cavs and 2020 Lakers
- Richard Jefferson takes hilarious shot at Giannis Antetokounmpo while comparing him to LeBron James
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson send huge congrats to ‘brother’ LeBron James for winning NBA title
- Andre Drummond campaigns for Cleveland Browns to give him shot at tight end
- Dylan Windler proceeds with huge life decision on Cavs home court
Report: Dan Gilbert Prepared to Offer David Griffin Contract Extension
- Updated: May 17, 2017
The uncertain contract status of Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin is reportedly getting clearer with a report on Wednesday that Cavs owner Dan Gilbert is prepared to offer him a contract extension. The deal would involve a large increase in salary and a substantial new title.
Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net noted that the information comes one day after news that Gilbert had ignored a request by the Orlando Magic to speak with Griffin, whose contract ends at the end of this season. The support of Griffin’s staff and his past accomplishments, including the franchise’s first-ever NBA title, also played a role in Gilbert’s apparent move, according to Amico.
“Several in the Cavs organization and many opposing league executives told Amico Hoops they believe Gilbert has always intended to re-sign Griffin, and that Gilbert will hold a meeting with Griffin before anyone else.
“Also, several people under Griffin have made it known to ownership that they greatly admire their GM and the positive work environment he has created, sources said.
“Gilbert values these opinions and the strong atmosphere Griffin is credited with developing in both the locker room and team offices.”
Griffin has been rumored to be one of the top targets to take over basketball operations for the Magic, with the Atlanta Hawks also being mentioned as a potential landing spot.
Signing Griffin would also appease LeBron James, who has been vocal in his support of the general manager:
“It makes no sense why (Griffin) shouldn’t get an extension,” James said. “He’s pulled every move. He’s tried to make every move happen, to better this team to be able to compete for a championship.”
The news should also help reduce any distractions as the Cavs prepare to face the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 1 is slated for Wednesday night.