- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
- Report: Nets in ‘active discussions’ with Cavs for JaVale McGee, also interested in Kevin Love
- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
Cavs News: Larry Drew Promoted to Associate Head Coach
- Updated: September 27, 2016
Drew, 58, has been a coach in the NBA for over 20 years. The journeyman was even a head coach for the Atlanta Hawks and Milwaukee Bucks in recent years before joining the Cavaliers in 2014.
In addition to promoting Drew, the 2016 champions announced that former player Damon Jones has been named an assistant coach. The 40-year-old was previously a “shooting consultant” with the Cavaliers and the team’s D-League affiliate Canton Charge. Jones and LeBron James played together in the 2007 NBA Finals, providing chemistry and history.
The changes signify a solid foundation to start the season off with. Last season, not everyone was on the same page as David Blatt was fired midway through the year. Although Lue picked things up, it took time and nearly cost the Cavs the No. 1 spot in the Eastern Conference.
By establishing a strong coaching staff during training camp, the team should have no problem jelling together before they get ready to defend their title in October.