- Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Kevin Porter Jr. shouts out potential Cavs pick LaMelo Ball after huge announcement
- Iman Shumpert makes adamant pick between 2016 Cavs and 2020 Lakers
- Richard Jefferson takes hilarious shot at Giannis Antetokounmpo while comparing him to LeBron James
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson send huge congrats to ‘brother’ LeBron James for winning NBA title
- Andre Drummond campaigns for Cleveland Browns to give him shot at tight end
- Dylan Windler proceeds with huge life decision on Cavs home court
- Tristan Thompson shares threatening text LeBron James sent after Cavs lost Game 4 of 2016 finals
- Mark Cuban shares incredible picture of Delonte West to prove he’s on path to recovery
- Report: Boston Celtics could offer major trade package for ‘obvious target’ Larry Nance Jr.
Cavs News: Larry Drew Promoted to Associate Head Coach
- Updated: September 27, 2016
Drew, 58, has been a coach in the NBA for over 20 years. The journeyman was even a head coach for the Atlanta Hawks and Milwaukee Bucks in recent years before joining the Cavaliers in 2014.
In addition to promoting Drew, the 2016 champions announced that former player Damon Jones has been named an assistant coach. The 40-year-old was previously a “shooting consultant” with the Cavaliers and the team’s D-League affiliate Canton Charge. Jones and LeBron James played together in the 2007 NBA Finals, providing chemistry and history.
The changes signify a solid foundation to start the season off with. Last season, not everyone was on the same page as David Blatt was fired midway through the year. Although Lue picked things up, it took time and nearly cost the Cavs the No. 1 spot in the Eastern Conference.
By establishing a strong coaching staff during training camp, the team should have no problem jelling together before they get ready to defend their title in October.