- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
- Report: Cavs viewed Kevin Porter Jr. as ‘untouchable’ and considered him ‘most talented’ youngster on roster
- Report: Cavs send Kevin Porter Jr. to Rockets for 2nd-round draft pick
- Report: Jarrett Allen was talking trash to Nets about Collin Sexton before his shots even went in
- Cavs head coach issues striking comparison between Collin Sexton and Michael Jordan
- Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant give major props to Collin Sexton after he drops 42 points on Nets
- Video: Collin Sexton drills cold-blooded 3 in Kyrie Irving’s face to send game into double overtime
- Cavs unveil tribute video as Nets superstar Kyrie Irving returns to Cleveland
- Report: Kyrie Irving to officially start and play in Nets matchup vs. Cavs
Cavs Players Defend Tyronn Lue’s Selection as Head Coach at All-Star Game
- Updated: January 29, 2016
Despite having just a 2-1 record as a head coach, Lue was selected on Wednesday night by the NBA to represent the Eastern Conference at the All-Star Game. The selection is due to a rule that stipulates that the head coach of the team with the best record in each conference two weeks before the game will represent that conference as a head coach.
“At the end of the day, it’s the NBA’s job and they decide on who. T-Lue is 2-1 right now, but it’s not like we just hired T-Lue from working at ESPN. He’s done the groundwork; he’s been with us. So he’s been a part of our journey and helping us become where we’re at today, so he deserves it, he and the rest of the staff. They’ve been here since Day 1, so they’ve all helped prepare us for games so I think it’s only fair.”
James Jones argues that Lue deserves to be there, because it’s not just based on head coaches, but also the coaching staff of a particular team:
“Our coaching staff that’s here, with the exception of Coach Blatt, all of our coaches have coached us. So when you look at it, our staff is still intact. It’s the coaching staff. If they’re just talking about head coaches, that’s different. But when you’re talking about the All-Star Game, you’re talking about coaching staffs and our staff deserves it.”
Lue has already spoken of his belief that David Blatt should represent the East as the head coach at the All-Star Game. While that won’t become a reality, Lue gave credit to his coaching staff upon hearing of his selection to the game:
“It’s a tribute to Coach Blatt and the players and the hard work the assistant coaches put in to get us to this point. It’s going to be a great honor to represent the Cleveland Cavaliers and having a chance to do this, I know my coaches are excited, and I know it’s going to be a surreal moment.”
The 2016 All-Star Game will be played on February 14th.