- Report: Dan Gilbert Talked to Certain Cavs Players After Wednesday’s Loss to Brooklyn Nets
- Collin Sexton Takes Slight Jab at New York Knicks’ Kevin Knox
- Cavs Teammates Rave About ‘Hotheaded’ Marquese Chriss
- Scottie Pippen Takes Huge Shot at LeBron James in Comparison to Kobe Bryant
- Report: Cavs ‘Furious’ About Officiating Following Triple-Overtime Loss
- Jordan Clarkson Becomes 1st Cavs Player to Accomplish Surprising Feat This Season
- Video: Marquese Chriss Obliterates Brooklyn Nets Defender With Nasty Poster Dunk
- Derrick Rose Admits to ‘Spying’ on LeBron James While He Was on Cavs
- Cavs News: Cedi Osman and Ante Zizic to Return Tonight vs. Brooklyn Nets
- Cavs News: Kevin Love Out Tonight vs. Brooklyn Nets
Cavs Rumors: Cavaliers Interested in Trading Brendan Haywood to Trail Blazers
- Updated: July 20, 2015
Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders reports that the Cavaliers are interested in trading Haywood to the Portland Trail Blazers. In this trade scenario, the Cavs would get a trade exception that could be used during the season to acquire a player. The Blazers would likely be compensated with a draft pick and waive Haywood for free before his contract becomes guaranteed.
If Portland agrees, they get a draft pick and simply waive Haywood, so it costs them nothing – but Cavs get a year to use the TPE.
— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) July 19, 2015
The deal would be beneficial for the Cavaliers as they could add to their depth at midseason by using the trade exception. Considering a large reason why the Cavs were able to make a run to the NBA Finals last season was due to a midseason trade that netted them J.R. Smith, Timofey Mozgov and Iman Shumpert.
The trade exception next season could be the difference between a championship or just another deep playoff run.
Haywood’s $10.5 million contract becomes guaranteed if he’s not waived by August 2.