- Bulls Owner Reveals LeBron’s 7-Word Message About Akron That Indicated He Was Leaving Cleveland
- Larry Nance Jr. Explains Why Kobe Bryant’s Final Game More Meaningful to Him Than Cavs Championship
- Former Cavs Guard Says There’s ‘No Way’ LeBron James Eating Airplane Food Served in NBA’s Bubble
- Report: NBA Scout Explains Why 2nd NBA Bubble Is Crucial for Cavs’ Future
- Kevin Love Explains How Changing His Uniform During Halftime Helps Him Deal With Anxiety
- Kendrick Perkins Urges Pacers to Sign Former Cavs Guard to Replace Victor Oladipo
- Oddsmakers Predict Surprising NCAA Route for Bronny James
- Ultra-Rare LeBron James Rookie Card Expected to Sell for More Than $2 Million
- Report: Cavs Player Says He ‘Probably Won’t Play’ If NBA Creates 2nd Bubble
- Richard Jefferson Clowns LeBron James With Savage Comment After He Refers to Himself as King
Larry Nance Jr. Posts Emotional Thank You Message to J.R. Smith
- Updated: July 16, 2019
Nance shared a photo of a shirtless Smith during the Cavs’ championship parade in 2016.
Nance wasn’t a member of 2016 championship team, but he knows how beloved Smith is in Cleveland.
The two became teammates after the 2018 trade deadline deal that brought Nance from the Los Angeles Lakers to the Cavaliers. Smith played only 11 games last season after mutually agreeing with the team to take a leave of absence.
The Cavs had been trying to trade Smith since November, but were unable to find a trade partner for the necessary pieces they were looking for.
He was waived by the Cavaliers on Monday before his $15.6 million contract for next season became guaranteed. The guarantee date on his deal was extended from June 30 to July 15 in exchange for an additional $500,000 on top of his $3.9 million guaranteed money.
Once he clears waivers, the veteran shooting guard will be a free agent.
The 6-foot-6 shooting guard has a career average of 37.3 percent shooting from 3-point range, which could make him a valuable member of a championship contender.