- Tristan Thompson Says City of Cleveland Has Best Sports Fans
- Report: Kevin Love and Charlamagne tha God to Collaborate on Mental Health Talk
- Report: Cavs From 2016 Championship Team Wore Rings for Fred McLeod’s Funeral
- Cleveland Indians Honor Fred McLeod With Moment of Silence Before Game
- J.R. Smith Pays Respect to Shaun Livingston After He Announces Retirement
- Report: Cavs Insider Ranks Team’s 5 Most Valuable Trade Pieces
- Sports Illustrated Ranks Kevin Love in Top 50 of Best NBA Players of 2020 List
- Ben Simmons Clowns Darius Garland’s NBA 2K20 Player via Social Media
- Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert Pens Emotional Statement After Passing of Fred McLeod
- Austin Carr Can’t Hold Back Tears When Discussing Partnership With Fred McLeod
Larry Nance Jr. Posts Emotional Thank You Message to J.R. Smith
- Updated: July 16, 2019
Nance shared a photo of a shirtless Smith during the Cavs’ championship parade in 2016.
Nance wasn’t a member of 2016 championship team, but he knows how beloved Smith is in Cleveland.
The two became teammates after the 2018 trade deadline deal that brought Nance from the Los Angeles Lakers to the Cavaliers. Smith played only 11 games last season after mutually agreeing with the team to take a leave of absence.
The Cavs had been trying to trade Smith since November, but were unable to find a trade partner for the necessary pieces they were looking for.
He was waived by the Cavaliers on Monday before his $15.6 million contract for next season became guaranteed. The guarantee date on his deal was extended from June 30 to July 15 in exchange for an additional $500,000 on top of his $3.9 million guaranteed money.
Once he clears waivers, the veteran shooting guard will be a free agent.
The 6-foot-6 shooting guard has a career average of 37.3 percent shooting from 3-point range, which could make him a valuable member of a championship contender.