- Khris Middleton Looking Forward to Battling Matthew Dellavedova During USA-Australia Match
- Kevin Porter Jr. and Bol Bol Voted as Biggest Steals in 2019 NBA Draft
- Video: Cavs Rookie Kevin Porter Jr. Drops 40-Point Triple-Double in Crawsover Pro-Am League Game
- Former Cavs Head Coach Announces He Suffers From Multiple Sclerosis
- Report: Cavs’ ‘Deep-Thinkers’ Worried About Defensive Limitations Around Sexton-Garland Backcourt
- Cavs Insider Says Team Getting More Than 25 Wins This Season Would Be ‘Pleasant Surprise’
- Report: Cavs Plan to Have 6 Guards on Roster by Start of Season
- J.R. Smith Gets Incredible Tattoo of His Daughter
- Kevin Love to Appear on Upcoming Episode of LeBron James’ ‘The Shop’
- Report: Cavs Sign Former Orlando Magic Swingman to 1-Year Deal
Report: Cavs Expected to Waive J.R. Smith Today
- Updated: July 15, 2019
According to multiple sources, the Cavs are expected to waive Smith this afternoon, a move that will keep the team’s salary under the luxury tax threshold.
It’s an unfortunate outcome, as it once seemed as though the Cavs were going to be able to receive some kind of future asset in return for the shooting guard. In fact, it was previously reported that the Cavs had offers for first-round picks in exchange for Smith.
Seemingly, the Cavs believed better offers would ultimately come, but as the offseason has worn on, it has become clear that that will not be the case.
Now, it will be interesting to see if Smith attempts to join a different NBA team, or simply calls it quits on a successful career.
In his career, Smith has averaged 12.5 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 2.1 assists per game.