- LeBron James offers heavy praise for Cavs rebuild, admits he pays ‘close attention’ to team
- Dylan Windler throws subtle shade at refs for not getting foul call after slam on Kyle Kuzma
- Video: LeBron James has heartwarming reunion with Cedi Osman prior to Cavs game vs. Lakers
- LeBron James reveals Cavs fan that mocked him, which led to 21-point explosion in 4th quarter
- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
- Report: Nets in ‘active discussions’ with Cavs for JaVale McGee, also interested in Kevin Love
Report: Cavs Expected to Waive J.R. Smith Today
- Updated: July 15, 2019
According to multiple sources, the Cavs are expected to waive Smith this afternoon, a move that will keep the team’s salary under the luxury tax threshold.
It’s an unfortunate outcome, as it once seemed as though the Cavs were going to be able to receive some kind of future asset in return for the shooting guard. In fact, it was previously reported that the Cavs had offers for first-round picks in exchange for Smith.
Seemingly, the Cavs believed better offers would ultimately come, but as the offseason has worn on, it has become clear that that will not be the case.
Now, it will be interesting to see if Smith attempts to join a different NBA team, or simply calls it quits on a successful career.
In his career, Smith has averaged 12.5 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 2.1 assists per game.