- Brad Stevens Heaps Praise on John Beilein, Says He Will Thrive in Cleveland
- Report: Several Cavs Players Say ‘Toughness’ Was Difference Between Them and Celtics
- Report: Jayson Tatum to Miss Celtics-Cavs Matchup on Tuesday Night
- Kevin Love Discusses What It Was Like to Visit With Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert
- Report: Cavs Have Been Receptive to John Beilein’s Extremely Long Practices
- Video: Austin Carr Accidentally Calls New Cavs Play-by-Play Announcer ‘Fred’
- Report: Cavs Visited Team Owner Dan Gilbert at His Detroit Home on Saturday
- Report: Cavs Willing to Put Darius Garland in Starting Lineup Immediately
- Darius Garland Opens Up on Adjustment to NBA: ‘It’s Been Really Fun’
- Channing Frye Refuses to Call Stephen Curry ‘Lock’ for MVP
Report: Cavs Expected to Waive J.R. Smith Today
- Updated: July 15, 2019
According to multiple sources, the Cavs are expected to waive Smith this afternoon, a move that will keep the team’s salary under the luxury tax threshold.
It’s an unfortunate outcome, as it once seemed as though the Cavs were going to be able to receive some kind of future asset in return for the shooting guard. In fact, it was previously reported that the Cavs had offers for first-round picks in exchange for Smith.
Seemingly, the Cavs believed better offers would ultimately come, but as the offseason has worn on, it has become clear that that will not be the case.
Now, it will be interesting to see if Smith attempts to join a different NBA team, or simply calls it quits on a successful career.
In his career, Smith has averaged 12.5 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 2.1 assists per game.