- Khris Middleton Looking Forward to Battling Matthew Dellavedova During USA-Australia Match
- Kevin Porter Jr. and Bol Bol Voted as Biggest Steals in 2019 NBA Draft
- Video: Cavs Rookie Kevin Porter Jr. Drops 40-Point Triple-Double in Crawsover Pro-Am League Game
- Former Cavs Head Coach Announces He Suffers From Multiple Sclerosis
- Report: Cavs’ ‘Deep-Thinkers’ Worried About Defensive Limitations Around Sexton-Garland Backcourt
- Cavs Insider Says Team Getting More Than 25 Wins This Season Would Be ‘Pleasant Surprise’
- Report: Cavs Plan to Have 6 Guards on Roster by Start of Season
- J.R. Smith Gets Incredible Tattoo of His Daughter
- Kevin Love to Appear on Upcoming Episode of LeBron James’ ‘The Shop’
- Report: Cavs Sign Former Orlando Magic Swingman to 1-Year Deal
J.R. Smith’s Immediate Reaction After Getting Released by Cavs
- Updated: July 15, 2019
The two sides parted early in the 2018-19 regular season after Smith grew dissatisfied with the team’s direction. While the Cavs had openly been shopping Smith as possible trade bait, no such deal ever materialized.
On Monday, it was announced that the Cavs had decided to release the veteran guard. Following the report, Smith took to Instagram to express his approval of the move.
Smith spent four and a half seasons with the Cavs after being acquired from the New York Knicks in a three-team trade. During his time with the Cavs, he primarily served as a solid scoring option off the bench.
Smith will forever be a fan favorite in Cleveland due to his role in the 2016 NBA championship. He will also always be fondly remembered for his unabashed style of celebration after that championship victory.
Now, it will be interesting to see what Smith opts to do. While it seems likely that he will look to continue his NBA career, he may also decide to hang it up for good after a long and successful career.