- Darius Garland Organizes Cleanup in Downtown Nashville After Bouts of Vandalism and Destruction
- Video: J.R. Smith Expresses Deep Regret After Beating Up White Kid
- Larry Nance Jr. Shares Powerful Post on Racial Injustices With Photo of Kobe Bryant
- Video: J.R. Smith Seen Viciously Beating Up Kid for Breaking His Car Window
- Report: Cavs Trying to Drill 2 Key Values Into Kevin Porter Jr. to Help Him Realize His ‘Immense Potential’
- Video: J.R. Smith Says He Beat White Kid’s A– After Getting His Car Window Broken
- J.R. Smith and Jordan Clarkson Join Chaotic Protests in Los Angeles
- Report: Cavs Will Not Shy Away From Drafting LaMelo Ball Despite Being Guard-Heavy
- Report: Cavs, Warriors, Wolves, Hawks Not Likely to Be Included in NBA Resumption
- Report: Cavs Could Be in Jeopardy of Being One of NBA Teams Not Selected to Return
J.R. Smith Finally Says Goodbye to LeBron James via Social Media
- Updated: July 22, 2018
Most of the Cavaliers responded within the first few days, including owner Dan Gilbert and forward Kevin Love. However, one player close to James has finally made a public post about the huge move: J.R. Smith.
Smith, 32, and James are really good friends. That was evident in 2016 when James emphatically pressed the Cavs to re-sign the shooting guard just before the regular season. Smith would eventually land a lofty four-year deal worth around $57 million.
The pair’s best memory came when they won the 2016 championship together against the Golden State Warriors. From being in the trenches down 3-1 to ultimately winning it all brought the team closer and produced a lifetime of friendships. James posted this emotional photo and caption about Smith on his birthday fresh after capturing the championship:
Happy Bday to my brother @teamswish!! Not a day goes by and I don't think of you kid! Proud of the man you've become over the years. Since day 1 when you were coming to Akron when u were still in HS to work with me I've always believed in you. Quite frankly more than u believed in yourself at times and I've never wavered cause i knew what you were all about. Loyal, caring, driven, misunderstood, passionate, trustworthy, etc etc etc. Most importantly TRUE!! Enjoy your day to the fullest and know i can't wait to get back to work on that court with u as my wing backcourt mate!! Let's go. #Automatic #Worrkkkk #Swisher #RocketLauncher #Champion
Yet, there were tense moments too. After Smith infamously held the ball and didn’t shoot or pass during a tied Game 1 in the 2018 NBA Finals, the pair’s relationship came under fire. Yet, the four-time MVP supported Smith and stood up for him the entire time.
Now, with both players in different cities after a messy ending in Cleveland, it is good to see the kind gesture on social media. James responded by commenting, “My G! ?. #FamilyTies ?.” So, it’s safe to assume all is good between the two champions.