- Cavs News: Jordan Clarkson Signs With Rich Paul and Klutch Sports
- Report: Cavs Turned Down Multiple J.R. Smith Offers That Would Have Netted 1st-Round Pick
- Report: J.R. Smith and Kyle Korver Expected to Sign With Lakers
- Koby Altman Offers High Praise for Dylan Windler
- Cavs News: Darius Garland Among Favorites to Win Rookie of the Year
- Report: Some Players on Cavs Think Collin Sexton Is Best as 6th Man
- Channing Frye Campaigns for Kevin Love to Join Portland Trail Blazers
- LeBron James and Chris Paul Support Kevin Love’s Cheat Day on Instagram
- Steph Curry Reveals Sole Regret He Had During Warriors-Cavs Championship Battles
- Larry Nance Jr. Thinks It’s Hilarious That Lakers Are Interested in D’Angelo Russell Again
Joel Embiid’s Live Reaction to J.R. Smith’s Last-Second Blunder
- Updated: June 1, 2018
The entire world of basketball could not believe their eyes in the waning moments of Thursday night’s Game 1 of the NBA Finals.
With 4.7 seconds left on the clock, Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith had the chance to be the hero when he grabbed a huge offensive rebound with the game tied, 107-107. While he could have easily attempted a last-second, potentially game-winning layup, Smith instead elected to dribble out the clock to take his team to overtime.
The shock felt by Cavs fans everywhere was shared by Philadelphia 76ers big man Joel Embiid, who was gobsmacked by Smith’s decision while watching the game on television.
The Golden State Warriors took advantage of Smith’s mistake in the subsequent overtime period and scored the first nine points, effectively ending the game.
Now, Smith and his teammates will have to try to pick up the pieces after the heartbreaking loss. If they are able to steal Game 2 and even the series, all may be forgiven. If they lose and find themselves in an 0-2 hole, it is quite possible that the Cleveland faithful will never fully forgive Smith for his mistake.