- Stephen Curry Had Special Cigar Saved for 2016 Championship But Cavs Ruined His Plans
- Report: Warriors Security Tried to Stop J.R. Smith From Smoking Cigar After 2016 Title
- Report: Cavs Would Keep David Nwaba at Right Price
- Why the Cavs Would Have Made the Playoffs This Year With a Healthy Kevin Love
- Former Cavs Assistant Coach Hilariously Details Story of J.R. Smith Throwing Soup at Him
- Report: Cavs Teammates Were Rolling Their Eyes at Cedi Osman Early in the Season
- Isaiah Thomas Says Celtics Would Have Won Title If He Had Never Been Traded to Cavs
- Collin Sexton Credits Cavs Teammates After Reaching 6th Straight 23-Point Game
- Channing Frye Explains Why Detroit Pistons Are Going to Be Dangerous in Playoffs
- Dan Gilbert, Larry Drew, and Channing Frye Offer Huge Praise for Collin Sexton
Joel Embiid’s Live Reaction to J.R. Smith’s Last-Second Blunder
- Updated: June 1, 2018
The entire world of basketball could not believe their eyes in the waning moments of Thursday night’s Game 1 of the NBA Finals.
With 4.7 seconds left on the clock, Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith had the chance to be the hero when he grabbed a huge offensive rebound with the game tied, 107-107. While he could have easily attempted a last-second, potentially game-winning layup, Smith instead elected to dribble out the clock to take his team to overtime.
The shock felt by Cavs fans everywhere was shared by Philadelphia 76ers big man Joel Embiid, who was gobsmacked by Smith’s decision while watching the game on television.
The Golden State Warriors took advantage of Smith’s mistake in the subsequent overtime period and scored the first nine points, effectively ending the game.
Now, Smith and his teammates will have to try to pick up the pieces after the heartbreaking loss. If they are able to steal Game 2 and even the series, all may be forgiven. If they lose and find themselves in an 0-2 hole, it is quite possible that the Cleveland faithful will never fully forgive Smith for his mistake.