- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
- Video: Jarrett Allen catches a body as he posterizes Nets defender
- Video: James Harden delivers filthy through-the-legs pass to Kyrie Irving
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares emotional post as he bids goodbye to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Darius Garland and Dylan Windler expected to play Friday night vs. Nets
- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
- Report: Cavs viewed Kevin Porter Jr. as ‘untouchable’ and considered him ‘most talented’ youngster on roster
- Report: Cavs send Kevin Porter Jr. to Rockets for 2nd-round draft pick
Joel Embiid’s Live Reaction to J.R. Smith’s Last-Second Blunder
- Updated: June 1, 2018
The entire world of basketball could not believe their eyes in the waning moments of Thursday night’s Game 1 of the NBA Finals.
With 4.7 seconds left on the clock, Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith had the chance to be the hero when he grabbed a huge offensive rebound with the game tied, 107-107. While he could have easily attempted a last-second, potentially game-winning layup, Smith instead elected to dribble out the clock to take his team to overtime.
The shock felt by Cavs fans everywhere was shared by Philadelphia 76ers big man Joel Embiid, who was gobsmacked by Smith’s decision while watching the game on television.
The Golden State Warriors took advantage of Smith’s mistake in the subsequent overtime period and scored the first nine points, effectively ending the game.
Now, Smith and his teammates will have to try to pick up the pieces after the heartbreaking loss. If they are able to steal Game 2 and even the series, all may be forgiven. If they lose and find themselves in an 0-2 hole, it is quite possible that the Cleveland faithful will never fully forgive Smith for his mistake.