- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
- Video: Jarrett Allen catches a body as he posterizes Nets defender
- Video: James Harden delivers filthy through-the-legs pass to Kyrie Irving
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares emotional post as he bids goodbye to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Darius Garland and Dylan Windler expected to play Friday night vs. Nets
- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
Channing Frye’s Epic Response After Tyronn Lue Told Him He’d Be Losing Spot in Rotation
- Updated: October 8, 2017
Last season, Cleveland Cavaliers forward Channing Frye was a valuable member of the Cavs bench, averaging 9.1 points in 18.9 minutes per game. According to Cleveland.com’s Joe Vardon, however, Frye will not have the same kind of impact this season, as he will likely see a noticeable reduction in his minutes.
Following the Cavs’ preseason game vs. the Washington Wizards on Sunday, head coach Tyronn Lue spoke with reporters regarding Frye’s reduced minutes. While some players would have reacted negatively to the news, Frye displayed the exact kind of veteran leadership every coach hopes for.
“I was like man I’m sorry,” Lue said, recounting his conversation with Frye. “(Frye) said, ‘Listen, I’m very excited about our team, not too many opportunities to get to play on a team like this.’ He said, ‘I have to wear a suit all season for us to win, that’s what I’ll do. Don’t worry about me, I’m going to continue to keep working. If you need me I’ll be ready.'”
Lue continued by applauding Frye’s team-oriented attitude.
“That’s the type of vet you want around,” Lue said. “Unbelievable character guy. He understands it’s a long season. There’s going to be opportunities.”
As the Cavs prepare for what they hope is another championship run, players with Frye’s attitude will surely be invaluable deep into the season.