- Kevin Porter Jr. shares scary, suicidal Instagram post as fans beg him to seek help
- Report: Cavs hoping to attend workout of top NBA draft prospect Devin Vassell
- Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Kevin Porter Jr. shouts out potential Cavs pick LaMelo Ball after huge announcement
- Iman Shumpert makes adamant pick between 2016 Cavs and 2020 Lakers
- Richard Jefferson takes hilarious shot at Giannis Antetokounmpo while comparing him to LeBron James
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson send huge congrats to ‘brother’ LeBron James for winning NBA title
- Andre Drummond campaigns for Cleveland Browns to give him shot at tight end
- Dylan Windler proceeds with huge life decision on Cavs home court
- Tristan Thompson shares threatening text LeBron James sent after Cavs lost Game 4 of 2016 finals
Cavs Rumors: Sources Reveal J.R. Smith’s Expected Return Date
- Updated: February 5, 2017
“I hear Smith should be back by April and able to play at least a few games before the playoffs open. The Cavs are pleased with his progress following thumb surgery, but don’t want to rush him. He’s important because he’s a strong, athletic presence on defense — along with having amazing 3-point range.”
The 6-foot-6 shooting guard fractured his thumb on Dec. 20 and was originally given a 12-to-14 week timetable. The Cavs end their regular season on April 12 against the Toronto Raptors and will play a total of seven games in April.
In his 21 games played this season, Smith had been averaging 8.6 points on 33.7 percent shooting from the field — well below his career averages.
A possible reason for his slow start could have been that he missed most of training camp as he was working out a three-year, $47 million guaranteed contract.