- Andre Drummond opens up about uncertain future with Cavs following Jarrett Allen trade
- Report: Cavs have begun exploring trade options for JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs offer major update on when Darius Garland and Collin Sexton could return
- Andre Drummond offers powerful message of support after Kevin Porter Jr. rejoins Cavs
- Former Cavs big man emphatically predicts team will trade Andre Drummond
- Report: Cavs-Wizards matchups on Sunday and Monday postponed due to COVID-19
- Report: Cavs received calls for Andre Drummond and JaVale McGee in aftermath of Jarrett Allen trade
- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
Cavs Rumors: Sources Reveal J.R. Smith’s Expected Return Date
- Updated: February 5, 2017
“I hear Smith should be back by April and able to play at least a few games before the playoffs open. The Cavs are pleased with his progress following thumb surgery, but don’t want to rush him. He’s important because he’s a strong, athletic presence on defense — along with having amazing 3-point range.”
The 6-foot-6 shooting guard fractured his thumb on Dec. 20 and was originally given a 12-to-14 week timetable. The Cavs end their regular season on April 12 against the Toronto Raptors and will play a total of seven games in April.
In his 21 games played this season, Smith had been averaging 8.6 points on 33.7 percent shooting from the field — well below his career averages.
A possible reason for his slow start could have been that he missed most of training camp as he was working out a three-year, $47 million guaranteed contract.