- Report: Multiple Celtics Players Don’t Make Trip to Cleveland to Face Cavs
- Brad Stevens Heaps Praise on John Beilein, Says He Will Thrive in Cleveland
- Report: Several Cavs Players Say ‘Toughness’ Was Difference Between Them and Celtics
- Report: Jayson Tatum to Miss Celtics-Cavs Matchup on Tuesday Night
- Kevin Love Discusses What It Was Like to Visit With Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert
- Report: Cavs Have Been Receptive to John Beilein’s Extremely Long Practices
- Video: Austin Carr Accidentally Calls New Cavs Play-by-Play Announcer ‘Fred’
- Report: Cavs Visited Team Owner Dan Gilbert at His Detroit Home on Saturday
- Report: Cavs Willing to Put Darius Garland in Starting Lineup Immediately
- Darius Garland Opens Up on Adjustment to NBA: ‘It’s Been Really Fun’
Cavs News: Kyrie Irving to Sit out Wednesday vs. Orlando Magic
- Updated: October 4, 2016
While the Cleveland Cavaliers will be starting their preseason schedule at Quicken Loans Arena on Wednesday night, one notable name won’t take part in the matchup against the Orlando Magic. That player is starting point guard Kyrie Irving, though Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue was quick to note that all players in camp are healthy.
News of Irving’s absence was forwarded in a tweet by Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net, who also noted that LeBron James will compete for at least a short period of time.
— Sam Amico (@AmicoHoops) October 4, 2016
The last time Irving took the court for the Cavs during the preseason was two years ago. Last season, he was in month four of his six-month rehabilitation from a fractured kneecap and didn’t officially enter a game until December 20.
Rust certainly isn’t a problem for Irving, who spent the summer as part of the United States men’s national basketball team in Rio. While not saying anything about Irving’s past problems with injuries, Cleveland’s coaching staff is undoubtedly not going to press their luck in a meaningless exhibition game.
There was no word on whether Irving would play in the Cavaliers’ second preseason clash on Saturday night at home against the Philadelphia 76ers.