- J.R. Smith Shows Growth and Maturity as He Avoids Airport Altercation
- Cavs News: Cleveland Cavaliers to Eliminate Cavaliers Girls Starting Next Season
- Tristan Thompson Supports LeBron James at His Brand New Clothing Launch
- Former Cavs Teammate Defends LeBron, Still Has ‘Full Trust’ He Will Lead Lakers to Championship
- Report: John Beilein Will Look to Improve Collin Sexton’s Efficiency
- Larry Nance Jr. Says Collin Sexton Should Have Made All-Rookie First Team
- Dan Gilbert Believes Kyrie Irving Will Leave Boston Celtics
- Dan Gilbert Speaks on LeBron James: ‘It All Revolves Around the Sun, Which Is Him’
- John Beilein Says Collin Sexton Is Big Reason Why He Joined Cavs
- Richard Jefferson’s 3 Hilarious Tweets Sum Up Warriors-Blazers Series Perfectly
Cavs News: Kyrie Irving to Sit out Wednesday vs. Orlando Magic
- Updated: October 4, 2016
While the Cleveland Cavaliers will be starting their preseason schedule at Quicken Loans Arena on Wednesday night, one notable name won’t take part in the matchup against the Orlando Magic. That player is starting point guard Kyrie Irving, though Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue was quick to note that all players in camp are healthy.
News of Irving’s absence was forwarded in a tweet by Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net, who also noted that LeBron James will compete for at least a short period of time.
— Sam Amico (@AmicoHoops) October 4, 2016
The last time Irving took the court for the Cavs during the preseason was two years ago. Last season, he was in month four of his six-month rehabilitation from a fractured kneecap and didn’t officially enter a game until December 20.
Rust certainly isn’t a problem for Irving, who spent the summer as part of the United States men’s national basketball team in Rio. While not saying anything about Irving’s past problems with injuries, Cleveland’s coaching staff is undoubtedly not going to press their luck in a meaningless exhibition game.
There was no word on whether Irving would play in the Cavaliers’ second preseason clash on Saturday night at home against the Philadelphia 76ers.