- Report: Obi Toppin on Cavs radar with No. 5 pick in 2020 NBA draft
- Kevin Porter Jr. shouts out potential Cavs pick LaMelo Ball after huge announcement
- Iman Shumpert makes adamant pick between 2016 Cavs and 2020 Lakers
- Richard Jefferson takes hilarious shot at Giannis Antetokounmpo while comparing him to LeBron James
- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson send huge congrats to ‘brother’ LeBron James for winning NBA title
- Andre Drummond campaigns for Cleveland Browns to give him shot at tight end
- Dylan Windler proceeds with huge life decision on Cavs home court
- Tristan Thompson shares threatening text LeBron James sent after Cavs lost Game 4 of 2016 finals
- Mark Cuban shares incredible picture of Delonte West to prove he’s on path to recovery
- Report: Boston Celtics could offer major trade package for ‘obvious target’ Larry Nance Jr.
Cavs Rumors: Timofey Mozgov Won’t Sign Extension This Summer
- Updated: August 4, 2015
According to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the veteran center won’t sign an extension this summer.
The Cavaliers made the decision to pick up Mozgov’s $4.9 million option for next season, which is a bargain for a player of Mozgov’s stature. The Russian center was acquired by trade in the middle of the season last year from the Denver Nuggets.
Following his acquisition, the 7-foot center averaged 10.6 points and 1.2 blocks per game while establishing himself as the team’s starting center. With the team shorthanded in the postseason, Mozgov continued to post solid statistics, as he had per game averages of 10.6 points and 1.8 blocks.
While Mozgov is eligible for a long-term extension, he won’t sign one right now. The salary cap will increase drastically for the 2016-17 season, meaning the Russian center will be eligible to earn a lot more money signing a long-term deal next summer, rather than this one.
Having said that, the question becomes, is the 29-year-old capable of repeating his performance from last season?
If so, he’ll attract many suitors when he becomes a free agent next year. If he can’t repeat his performance, it’s a guessing game as to what type of money and demand Mozgov will attract in the near future.