- Tristan Thompson hopes Cavs retire his jersey, makes perfect analogy to ‘tough, gritty MFs’ of Cleveland
- LeBron James offers heavy praise for Cavs rebuild, admits he pays ‘close attention’ to team
- Dylan Windler throws subtle shade at refs for not getting foul call after slam on Kyle Kuzma
- Video: LeBron James has heartwarming reunion with Cedi Osman prior to Cavs game vs. Lakers
- LeBron James reveals Cavs fan that mocked him, which led to 21-point explosion in 4th quarter
- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
Cavs Rumors: Timofey Mozgov Won’t Sign Extension This Summer
- Updated: August 4, 2015
According to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the veteran center won’t sign an extension this summer.
The Cavaliers made the decision to pick up Mozgov’s $4.9 million option for next season, which is a bargain for a player of Mozgov’s stature. The Russian center was acquired by trade in the middle of the season last year from the Denver Nuggets.
Following his acquisition, the 7-foot center averaged 10.6 points and 1.2 blocks per game while establishing himself as the team’s starting center. With the team shorthanded in the postseason, Mozgov continued to post solid statistics, as he had per game averages of 10.6 points and 1.8 blocks.
While Mozgov is eligible for a long-term extension, he won’t sign one right now. The salary cap will increase drastically for the 2016-17 season, meaning the Russian center will be eligible to earn a lot more money signing a long-term deal next summer, rather than this one.
Having said that, the question becomes, is the 29-year-old capable of repeating his performance from last season?
If so, he’ll attract many suitors when he becomes a free agent next year. If he can’t repeat his performance, it’s a guessing game as to what type of money and demand Mozgov will attract in the near future.