- LeBron James reveals Cavs fan that mocked him, which led to 21-point explosion in 4th quarter
- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
- Report: Nets in ‘active discussions’ with Cavs for JaVale McGee, also interested in Kevin Love
- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
Cavs Rumors: Cavaliers Exploring Trade Options for Brooklyn’s Joe Johnson
- Updated: July 5, 2015
What appears to be the latest attempt by the Cleveland Cavaliers to use the unique contract status of veteran center Brendan Haywood to their advantage is a rumor that the team is interested in trading for Brooklyn Nets guard Joe Johnson.
That rumor comes from Brian Windhorst of ESPN, who has indicated that in order to accommodate taking on a much larger salary (Johnson will make $24.89 million for the 2015-16 season), the Cavaliers could also possibly consider adding veteran center Anderson Varejao to the deal.
Cavaliers are considering trading for Nets star Joe Johnson with Cleveland’s Brendan Haywood contract chip. (via @WindhorstESPN)
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 5, 2015
Haywood has a non-guaranteed contract for next season that would pay him $10.5 million. However, the Nets would be able to reduce their payroll by that amount if they waive him by August 1.
The 34-year-old Johnson is a 6’7″ swingman, who can play at shooting guard and small forward. Last season, he averaged 14.4 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 3.7 assists.
Varejao will make $9.6 million this coming year, but is coming off a torn Achilles, and has had injury problems over the past few seasons.
Windhorst also speculates that the possible push to trade Varejao may be related to the the Cavs’ pursuit of David West.