- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
Report: Cavs Turned Down Multiple J.R. Smith Offers That Would Have Netted 1st-Round Pick
- Updated: June 25, 2019
After Sunday, the $15.6 million Smith is set to earn will become fully guaranteed, which will bring its trade value down to practically zero.
Despite that ticking clock, a report from Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com indicates that the Cavs turned down multiple offers on draft night that would have netted them a nice return.
“The Cleveland Cavaliers entered Thursday night hoping to trade JR Smith, but turned down a few offers that would have returned a first-round pick, league sources tell cleveland.com,” he wrote.
“While the odds of a deal have reduced, there’s still time. The Cavs have until Sunday, to be exact. And they remain the leader in the clubhouse to help a team create cap space heading into what is expected to be a frenzied summer.”
As the report states, the Cavs are still actively pursuing a trade. It seems as though they are just looking for the right partner and the right price.
Hopefully that choosiness does not lead to Smith’s contract becoming fully guaranteed. At that point, it seems like that the Cavs will seek some kind of buyout with the veteran guard who has been exiled from the team since early last season.