- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
- Report: Cavs waive 2 players in aftermath of blockbuster James Harden trade
- Report: Cavs acquire Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince in blockbuster James Harden deal
- Report: Cavs helping Kevin Porter Jr. ‘get his life together before putting him on the court’
- Report: Cavs reveal MRI results of Collin Sexton’s latest injury
- Report: Cavs considered adding Jeremy Lin before signing Yogi Ferrell
- Kevin Porter Jr. highlights relationship with Carmelo Anthony as he remains away from Cavs
- Report: Steve Nash continues to have no update on Kyrie Irving’s mysterious absence from Nets
Report: Cavs Turned Down Multiple J.R. Smith Offers That Would Have Netted 1st-Round Pick
- Updated: June 25, 2019
After Sunday, the $15.6 million Smith is set to earn will become fully guaranteed, which will bring its trade value down to practically zero.
Despite that ticking clock, a report from Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com indicates that the Cavs turned down multiple offers on draft night that would have netted them a nice return.
“The Cleveland Cavaliers entered Thursday night hoping to trade JR Smith, but turned down a few offers that would have returned a first-round pick, league sources tell cleveland.com,” he wrote.
“While the odds of a deal have reduced, there’s still time. The Cavs have until Sunday, to be exact. And they remain the leader in the clubhouse to help a team create cap space heading into what is expected to be a frenzied summer.”
As the report states, the Cavs are still actively pursuing a trade. It seems as though they are just looking for the right partner and the right price.
Hopefully that choosiness does not lead to Smith’s contract becoming fully guaranteed. At that point, it seems like that the Cavs will seek some kind of buyout with the veteran guard who has been exiled from the team since early last season.