- Cavs Owner Dan Gilbert Pens Emotional Statement After Passing of Fred McLeod
- Austin Carr Can’t Hold Back Tears When Discussing Partnership With Fred McLeod
- Kevin Durant Says He Was Never One of Warriors, Calls Kyrie Irving ‘Best Friend’ in Entire League
- LeBron James, Channing Frye, and Cavs Players Respond to Passing of Fred McLeod
- Report: Cavs Mourn Passing of Play-By-Play Announcer Fred McLeod
- Cavs Rumors: Tristan Thompson Got Into Heated Altercation With Kanye West
- Darius Garland Impresses Both Ben Simmons and Renowned NBA Trainer With ‘Unlimited’ Range
- Cedi Osman Hits Buzzer-Beater, Dominates World Cup Game
- Report: Anderson Varejao Hints He’s Interested in Coming Back to Cavs
- Former NBA Big Man Thinks LeBron James, Cavs Prepared for Spurs Over Warriors in 2015
Report: Cavs Turned Down Multiple J.R. Smith Offers That Would Have Netted 1st-Round Pick
- Updated: June 25, 2019
After Sunday, the $15.6 million Smith is set to earn will become fully guaranteed, which will bring its trade value down to practically zero.
Despite that ticking clock, a report from Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com indicates that the Cavs turned down multiple offers on draft night that would have netted them a nice return.
“The Cleveland Cavaliers entered Thursday night hoping to trade JR Smith, but turned down a few offers that would have returned a first-round pick, league sources tell cleveland.com,” he wrote.
“While the odds of a deal have reduced, there’s still time. The Cavs have until Sunday, to be exact. And they remain the leader in the clubhouse to help a team create cap space heading into what is expected to be a frenzied summer.”
As the report states, the Cavs are still actively pursuing a trade. It seems as though they are just looking for the right partner and the right price.
Hopefully that choosiness does not lead to Smith’s contract becoming fully guaranteed. At that point, it seems like that the Cavs will seek some kind of buyout with the veteran guard who has been exiled from the team since early last season.