- Cavs Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers to Consider 2 Wild Cards With 5th Pick in Upcoming Draft
- Report: Darius Garland Did Not Meet With Cavs at NBA Draft Combine
- Channing Frye Explains Why He’s Excited About Cavs Landing 5th Pick in NBA Draft
- The Ringer’s Justin Verrier Says Cavs Getting 5th Pick Is ‘Comeuppance’ for Tanking Season
- Report: Cavs New Head Coach Personally Called All His Players by Phone on Tuesday
- David Griffin Reveals Why He Wanted Koby Altman and Cavs to Get 1st Pick in Draft
- Report: Zion Williamson Didn’t Want Cavs to Land 1st Overall Draft Pick
- Koby Altman Reacts to Cavs Getting No. 5 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft
- ESPN NBA Draft Lottery Footage Shows Cavs Landing 4th Overall Pick
- Report: There Are Those in Cavs Front Office Who Believe R.J. Barrett Is Better Than Ja Morant
Collin Sexton to Wear Kyrie Irving’s Old Jersey Number
- Updated: June 21, 2018
The Cleveland Cavaliers zeroed in on Collin Sexton as their pick at the 2018 NBA Draft and nabbed him when their turn was up with the eighth selection. The dynamic point guard from the University of Alabama will be taking over the playmaking duties vacated by Kyrie Irving after he was traded to the Boston Celtics last summer.
But that’s not the only thing Sexton will be taking from Irving.
According to Cavs play-by-play announcer Fred McLeod, Sexton has chosen to wear Irving’s old number.
It’s a very interesting choice for the newly drafted point guard, who will be under the watchful eye of the Cleveland faithful. Sexton was one of the most explosive guards in college last season and he may soon make Cavs fans forget about Irving.
Taking on the number of arguably the best point guard in Cavs history is a huge gamble, but Sexton seems up for the challenge.