- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
- Report: Nets in ‘active discussions’ with Cavs for JaVale McGee, also interested in Kevin Love
- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
Report: Rodney Hood Refused to Enter Game in 4th Quarter, Angered Multiple Teammates
- Updated: May 8, 2018
It was a joyous Monday night for the Cleveland Cavaliers who swept the Toronto Raptors 4-0 after a 128-93 annihilation of the East’s No. 1 seed in Game 4 of their series. Amidst the celebratory mood in Cleveland, there was one issue that may have spoiled the festive atmosphere in the locker room after the game.
Nearly everyone in a Cavs uniform was in good spirits except perhaps one bench player. Rodney Hood suspiciously registered zero minutes.
“Not everyone seemed concerned with the team aspect, however. Rodney Hood refused to go into the game during the fourth quarter Monday, multiple sources told The Athletic, angering a number of teammates and those within the organization.
“Hood finally lost his place in the rotation Monday when Lue went with rookie Cedi Osman instead. It was the first time since joining the Cavs that Hood was clearly out of the rotation – and rightfully so. He has been unplayable most of these playoffs.”
Here’s how the entire incident played out according to Lloyd and his sources:
“When the Cavs called a timeout with a 30-point lead and 7:38 left Monday, Lue tried inserting Hood for James. It was a great opportunity for a struggling youngster to try to find his rhythm without any pressure before the next series. Instead, Hood refused to go in, multiple sources confirmed. A number of veterans huddled around him during the timeout and tried talking sense into him, but Hood still refused to go, so Jose Calderon subbed into the game instead. Hood dressed quickly and was one of the first players out of the locker room after the game.”
Hood is a very good player but he’s had a terrible playoffs so far, averaging only 4.6 points on 39.6 percent shooting. He has the talent to be one of the better players in the Cavs’ lineup but has strangely been out of sync lately.
He’s a restricted free agent this summer and could have improved his bid for a long-term contract with a good showing in this postseason. But with an attitude unbecoming of a player that’s part of a championship contender aside from his poor play, Hood’s chances of a lucrative deal may have vanished into thin air.
Lloyd also stated that Cavs GM Koby Altman will be meeting with Hood to hear what he has to say about the matter. It’s more than likely that a suspension is forthcoming and unless Hood apologizes to his coaches and his teammates, he has likely worn out his welcome in the locker room and on the hardwood.