- Report: Cavs viewed Kevin Porter Jr. as ‘untouchable’ and considered him ‘most talented’ youngster on roster
- Report: Cavs send Kevin Porter Jr. to Rockets for 2nd-round draft pick
- Report: Jarrett Allen was talking trash to Nets about Collin Sexton before his shots even went in
- Cavs head coach issues striking comparison between Collin Sexton and Michael Jordan
- Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant give major props to Collin Sexton after he drops 42 points on Nets
- Video: Collin Sexton drills cold-blooded 3 in Kyrie Irving’s face to send game into double overtime
- Cavs unveil tribute video as Nets superstar Kyrie Irving returns to Cleveland
- Report: Kyrie Irving to officially start and play in Nets matchup vs. Cavs
- Report: Dylan Windler to return to Cavs lineup Friday vs. Nets
- Report: It’s ‘doubtful’ Cavs will be able to trade Kevin Porter Jr.
Report: J.R. Smith to Skip Cavs Minicamp This Week Due to Contract Dispute
- Updated: September 19, 2016
Members of the Cleveland Cavaliers are getting together for a minicamp in Santa Barbara, CA this week, though the contingent will be missing one key piece from last season’s championship run: free agent shooting guard J.R. Smith.
ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported on Monday that due to Smith’s current unsigned status, he’ll skip the get-together. The veteran has been seeking a multi-year deal that would pay him $15 million a year, with no apparent progress having taken place. The rumored holdup is reportedly focused on the number of years the team is willing to offer the 31-year-old guard.
While the expectation among most observers is that Smith will eventually sign with the Cavaliers, that deal may not come until much of the preseason training camp has been completed.
Those circumstances would be similar to last season’s, when restricted free agent Tristan Thompson also remained unsigned. The center missed last year’s minicamp that was held in Miami and the ensuing training camp. He eventually signed a multi-year deal with the Cavs just before the start of the regular season.