- Former Cavs Player Delonte West Seen Getting Beat Down on Freeway
- Report: Cavs Sign Tyler Cook to 2nd 10-Day Contract
- Report: Some Cavs Players Still Question John Beilein’s Ability to Succeed in NBA
- Tristan Thompson Indicates Refs Were Wrong to Eject Him for Incident With Jae Crowder
- Tristan Thompson Gets Ejected for Slapping Jae Crowder’s Behind
- Jose Calderon Details LeBron James Breaking His Hand After Game 1 of 2018 NBA Finals
- Collin Sexton Says There Was a Lot of ‘Disrespect’ Amongst Cavs Players Early in Season
- Report: NBA Executives Believe Kevin Love Was Primary Voice Behind Criticism of John Beilein
- Cavs Rumors: Tristan Thompson ‘Coveted by Contenders’ in Potential Trade
- 3 Ideal Trades the Cavs Should Pursue for Kevin Love
Report: Cavs to Waive Alfonzo McKinnie and Tyler Cook From Roster
- Updated: January 6, 2020
The Cavs will reportedly look to re-sign McKinnie if he clears waivers. No such possibility was mentioned in regards to Cook.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) January 6, 2020
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) January 6, 2020
Between the two players, McKinnie has gotten far more opportunity to display his talent this season. He’s suited up in 23 games so far, averaging 2.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 11.0 minutes per game.
As for Cook, he’s played in just six games this season, averaging 2.0 points in 2.8 minutes per outing.
The news should come as no great shock to either player. Both players had contracts that were set to become guaranteed for the remainder of the season by Tuesday evening.
With the trade market starting to heat up, and the Cavs certainly wanting to make moves to help push their rebuild forward, keeping roster spots open was likely given greater emphasis than keeping either project player around.
Despite the news, it would be surprising to see either player out of the NBA for long. Hopefully, their next opportunity comes soon, whether it is with the Cavs or another team around the league.