- Former Cavs Guard Says There’s ‘No Way’ LeBron James Eating Airplane Food Served in NBA’s Bubble
- Report: NBA Scout Explains Why 2nd NBA Bubble Is Crucial for Cavs’ Future
- Kevin Love Explains How Changing His Uniform During Halftime Helps Him Deal With Anxiety
- Kendrick Perkins Urges Pacers to Sign Former Cavs Guard to Replace Victor Oladipo
- Oddsmakers Predict Surprising NCAA Route for Bronny James
- Ultra-Rare LeBron James Rookie Card Expected to Sell for More Than $2 Million
- Report: Cavs Player Says He ‘Probably Won’t Play’ If NBA Creates 2nd Bubble
- Richard Jefferson Clowns LeBron James With Savage Comment After He Refers to Himself as King
- Report: Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Have Found Their Way Back to One Another
- Collin Sexton Reveals Lofty Goal for Next Season, Says He’s ‘Hungry’ to Get Better
Report: Cavs to Waive Alfonzo McKinnie and Tyler Cook From Roster
- Updated: January 6, 2020
The Cavs will reportedly look to re-sign McKinnie if he clears waivers. No such possibility was mentioned in regards to Cook.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) January 6, 2020
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) January 6, 2020
Between the two players, McKinnie has gotten far more opportunity to display his talent this season. He’s suited up in 23 games so far, averaging 2.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 11.0 minutes per game.
As for Cook, he’s played in just six games this season, averaging 2.0 points in 2.8 minutes per outing.
The news should come as no great shock to either player. Both players had contracts that were set to become guaranteed for the remainder of the season by Tuesday evening.
With the trade market starting to heat up, and the Cavs certainly wanting to make moves to help push their rebuild forward, keeping roster spots open was likely given greater emphasis than keeping either project player around.
Despite the news, it would be surprising to see either player out of the NBA for long. Hopefully, their next opportunity comes soon, whether it is with the Cavs or another team around the league.