- Kevin Love Speculates How NBA Will Return for Rest of 2019-20 Season
- Report: Andre Drummond to Face Off Against DeMarcus Cousins in NBA 2K Tournament
- Larry Nance Jr.’s Hilarious Reason for Wanting to Resume Season Has Nothing to Do With Cavs
- Beth McLeod Touched by LeBron James’ Thoughts and Prayers
- Matthew Dellavedova Takes Playful Shot at Random Appearance of Cedi Osman
- Darius Garland Sends Somber Message Due to Lull in NBA Season
- Larry Nance Jr.: ‘I Have Zero Interest in Anything Basketball-Related Right Now’
- Report: Cavs’ Strength and Conditioning Trainers Keeping Team Ready
- Kyrie Irving Reveals Incredible Advice Kobe Bryant Gave Him Midway Through 2016 NBA Finals
- Kyrie Irving Shares Hilarious Story of Kobe Bryant Defending Him: ‘He Punched That S— Bro’
Report: Cavs to Waive Alfonzo McKinnie and Tyler Cook From Roster
- Updated: January 6, 2020
The Cavs will reportedly look to re-sign McKinnie if he clears waivers. No such possibility was mentioned in regards to Cook.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) January 6, 2020
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) January 6, 2020
Between the two players, McKinnie has gotten far more opportunity to display his talent this season. He’s suited up in 23 games so far, averaging 2.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 11.0 minutes per game.
As for Cook, he’s played in just six games this season, averaging 2.0 points in 2.8 minutes per outing.
The news should come as no great shock to either player. Both players had contracts that were set to become guaranteed for the remainder of the season by Tuesday evening.
With the trade market starting to heat up, and the Cavs certainly wanting to make moves to help push their rebuild forward, keeping roster spots open was likely given greater emphasis than keeping either project player around.
Despite the news, it would be surprising to see either player out of the NBA for long. Hopefully, their next opportunity comes soon, whether it is with the Cavs or another team around the league.