- Report: Eastern conference executive says Andre Drummond ‘definitely out of Cleveland’
- Former NBA executive discloses how much Cavs would likely pay Jarrett Allen in long-term deal
- Andre Drummond has hilarious reaction to finding out Cavs traded for another center in Jarrett Allen
- Report: Cavs waive 2 players in aftermath of blockbuster James Harden trade
- Report: Cavs acquire Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince in blockbuster James Harden deal
- Report: Cavs helping Kevin Porter Jr. ‘get his life together before putting him on the court’
- Report: Cavs reveal MRI results of Collin Sexton’s latest injury
- Report: Cavs considered adding Jeremy Lin before signing Yogi Ferrell
- Kevin Porter Jr. highlights relationship with Carmelo Anthony as he remains away from Cavs
- Report: Steve Nash continues to have no update on Kyrie Irving’s mysterious absence from Nets
Report: Cavs to Waive Alfonzo McKinnie and Tyler Cook From Roster
- Updated: January 6, 2020
The Cavs will reportedly look to re-sign McKinnie if he clears waivers. No such possibility was mentioned in regards to Cook.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) January 6, 2020
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) January 6, 2020
Between the two players, McKinnie has gotten far more opportunity to display his talent this season. He’s suited up in 23 games so far, averaging 2.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 11.0 minutes per game.
As for Cook, he’s played in just six games this season, averaging 2.0 points in 2.8 minutes per outing.
The news should come as no great shock to either player. Both players had contracts that were set to become guaranteed for the remainder of the season by Tuesday evening.
With the trade market starting to heat up, and the Cavs certainly wanting to make moves to help push their rebuild forward, keeping roster spots open was likely given greater emphasis than keeping either project player around.
Despite the news, it would be surprising to see either player out of the NBA for long. Hopefully, their next opportunity comes soon, whether it is with the Cavs or another team around the league.