- Report: Delonte West checks into rehab facility after photo of him begging on street goes viral
- Cavs News: Kevin Love leaves team’s Cleveland bubble
- Report: Significant concerns emerging about Anthony Edwards as he gets compared to Dion Waiters
- Richard Jefferson throws shade at Los Angeles Clippers while praising Miami Heat
- Kevin Love acknowledges that he was big part in helping LeBron James win titles
- Kevin Love explains how important playing in front of crowds is to LeBron James
- Larry Nance Jr. responds with jubilation that Cavs and Tristan Thompson have ‘mutual interest’
- Koby Altman opens up on what Cavs plan to do with No. 5 overall pick
- Ja Morant insinuates missed dunk over Kevin Love would have been best of all time
- Disturbing photos emerge of Delonte West begging for money in Dallas
Report: Cavs to Waive Alfonzo McKinnie and Tyler Cook From Roster
- Updated: January 6, 2020
The Cavs will reportedly look to re-sign McKinnie if he clears waivers. No such possibility was mentioned in regards to Cook.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) January 6, 2020
— Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) January 6, 2020
Between the two players, McKinnie has gotten far more opportunity to display his talent this season. He’s suited up in 23 games so far, averaging 2.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 11.0 minutes per game.
As for Cook, he’s played in just six games this season, averaging 2.0 points in 2.8 minutes per outing.
The news should come as no great shock to either player. Both players had contracts that were set to become guaranteed for the remainder of the season by Tuesday evening.
With the trade market starting to heat up, and the Cavs certainly wanting to make moves to help push their rebuild forward, keeping roster spots open was likely given greater emphasis than keeping either project player around.
Despite the news, it would be surprising to see either player out of the NBA for long. Hopefully, their next opportunity comes soon, whether it is with the Cavs or another team around the league.