- Cavs Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers Considering Dealing No. 5 Pick to Atlanta Hawks
- Report: Cavs Make Groundbreaking Hire With Latest Addition to Staff
- Report: Cavs Still Exploring Ways to Trade for No. 3 Pick to Draft R.J. Barrett
- Video: Kevin Love Discusses If He’s Open to Leaving Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Cavs Held Private Workout, Had Dinner With Jarrett Culver on Monday
- How Cavs Could Land No. 3 Pick By Facilitating Anthony Davis Trade to Knicks
- Channing Frye Gives Hilarious Take on Kawhi Leonard
- Kevin Love Gives Bold Prediction on Rest of NBA Finals
- Cavs Fans Quickly Shut Down SportsCenter’s ‘Fact’ About Toronto Raptors
- Kevin Love’s Emphatic Reaction After Seeing Kevin Durant Go Down With Injury in Game 5
Report: Cavs Hire J.B. Bickerstaff as Associate Head Coach
- Updated: May 19, 2019
While it was initially thought to be somewhat unlikely for Bickerstaff to join Beilein on the Cavs’ coaching staff, it turns out it wasn’t a long shot after all.
On Sunday, it was reported that Bickerstaff has indeed agreed to join Beilein’s staff in Cleveland.
Cleveland has hired JB Bickerstaff as associate head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Bickerstaff was a target of several teams, but Cavs were determined to pair him with John Beilein and made him one of league’s top paid assistants.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) May 19, 2019
Bickerstaff was a hot commodity in the coaching carousel this spring because of his experience as a head coach. Bickerstaff served as the interim head coach for the Houston Rockets in the 2015-16 season, and coached the Grizzlies for much of the 2017-18 season and all of the 2018-19 campaign.
While it may seem like a demotion to go from head coach to associate head coach, Beilein has made it clear that he wants highly experienced NBA coaches on his staff. That priority will likely offer Bickerstaff quite a bit of sway within the organization as Beilein familiarizes himself with the NBA landscape.
The offseason has just begun for the Cavs, but things are already going quite well. Before long, it will be time to make moves on the team’s roster so that the Cavs can continue their rebuild.