- Report: Officer Suspended for Filming Delonte West While Shirtless and Handcuffed
- Kevin Love Says Collin Sexton Was ‘Pretty Hard on Himself’ During Loss to Knicks
- Former Cavs Player Delonte West Seen Getting Beat Down on Freeway
- Report: Cavs Sign Tyler Cook to 2nd 10-Day Contract
- Report: Some Cavs Players Still Question John Beilein’s Ability to Succeed in NBA
- Tristan Thompson Indicates Refs Were Wrong to Eject Him for Incident With Jae Crowder
- Tristan Thompson Gets Ejected for Slapping Jae Crowder’s Behind
- Jose Calderon Details LeBron James Breaking His Hand After Game 1 of 2018 NBA Finals
- Collin Sexton Says There Was a Lot of ‘Disrespect’ Amongst Cavs Players Early in Season
- Report: NBA Executives Believe Kevin Love Was Primary Voice Behind Criticism of John Beilein
Report: Cavs Hire J.B. Bickerstaff as Associate Head Coach
- Updated: May 19, 2019
While it was initially thought to be somewhat unlikely for Bickerstaff to join Beilein on the Cavs’ coaching staff, it turns out it wasn’t a long shot after all.
On Sunday, it was reported that Bickerstaff has indeed agreed to join Beilein’s staff in Cleveland.
Cleveland has hired JB Bickerstaff as associate head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Bickerstaff was a target of several teams, but Cavs were determined to pair him with John Beilein and made him one of league’s top paid assistants.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) May 19, 2019
Bickerstaff was a hot commodity in the coaching carousel this spring because of his experience as a head coach. Bickerstaff served as the interim head coach for the Houston Rockets in the 2015-16 season, and coached the Grizzlies for much of the 2017-18 season and all of the 2018-19 campaign.
While it may seem like a demotion to go from head coach to associate head coach, Beilein has made it clear that he wants highly experienced NBA coaches on his staff. That priority will likely offer Bickerstaff quite a bit of sway within the organization as Beilein familiarizes himself with the NBA landscape.
The offseason has just begun for the Cavs, but things are already going quite well. Before long, it will be time to make moves on the team’s roster so that the Cavs can continue their rebuild.