- Tristan Thompson hopes Cavs retire his jersey, makes perfect analogy to ‘tough, gritty MFs’ of Cleveland
- LeBron James offers heavy praise for Cavs rebuild, admits he pays ‘close attention’ to team
- Dylan Windler throws subtle shade at refs for not getting foul call after slam on Kyle Kuzma
- Video: LeBron James has heartwarming reunion with Cedi Osman prior to Cavs game vs. Lakers
- LeBron James reveals Cavs fan that mocked him, which led to 21-point explosion in 4th quarter
- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
Report: Cavs Hire J.B. Bickerstaff as Associate Head Coach
- Updated: May 19, 2019
While it was initially thought to be somewhat unlikely for Bickerstaff to join Beilein on the Cavs’ coaching staff, it turns out it wasn’t a long shot after all.
On Sunday, it was reported that Bickerstaff has indeed agreed to join Beilein’s staff in Cleveland.
Cleveland has hired JB Bickerstaff as associate head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Bickerstaff was a target of several teams, but Cavs were determined to pair him with John Beilein and made him one of league’s top paid assistants.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) May 19, 2019
Bickerstaff was a hot commodity in the coaching carousel this spring because of his experience as a head coach. Bickerstaff served as the interim head coach for the Houston Rockets in the 2015-16 season, and coached the Grizzlies for much of the 2017-18 season and all of the 2018-19 campaign.
While it may seem like a demotion to go from head coach to associate head coach, Beilein has made it clear that he wants highly experienced NBA coaches on his staff. That priority will likely offer Bickerstaff quite a bit of sway within the organization as Beilein familiarizes himself with the NBA landscape.
The offseason has just begun for the Cavs, but things are already going quite well. Before long, it will be time to make moves on the team’s roster so that the Cavs can continue their rebuild.