- Khris Middleton Looking Forward to Battling Matthew Dellavedova During USA-Australia Match
- Kevin Porter Jr. and Bol Bol Voted as Biggest Steals in 2019 NBA Draft
- Video: Cavs Rookie Kevin Porter Jr. Drops 40-Point Triple-Double in Crawsover Pro-Am League Game
- Former Cavs Head Coach Announces He Suffers From Multiple Sclerosis
- Report: Cavs’ ‘Deep-Thinkers’ Worried About Defensive Limitations Around Sexton-Garland Backcourt
- Cavs Insider Says Team Getting More Than 25 Wins This Season Would Be ‘Pleasant Surprise’
- Report: Cavs Plan to Have 6 Guards on Roster by Start of Season
- J.R. Smith Gets Incredible Tattoo of His Daughter
- Kevin Love to Appear on Upcoming Episode of LeBron James’ ‘The Shop’
- Report: Cavs Sign Former Orlando Magic Swingman to 1-Year Deal
Report: Cavs Hire J.B. Bickerstaff as Associate Head Coach
- Updated: May 19, 2019
While it was initially thought to be somewhat unlikely for Bickerstaff to join Beilein on the Cavs’ coaching staff, it turns out it wasn’t a long shot after all.
On Sunday, it was reported that Bickerstaff has indeed agreed to join Beilein’s staff in Cleveland.
Cleveland has hired JB Bickerstaff as associate head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Bickerstaff was a target of several teams, but Cavs were determined to pair him with John Beilein and made him one of league’s top paid assistants.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) May 19, 2019
Bickerstaff was a hot commodity in the coaching carousel this spring because of his experience as a head coach. Bickerstaff served as the interim head coach for the Houston Rockets in the 2015-16 season, and coached the Grizzlies for much of the 2017-18 season and all of the 2018-19 campaign.
While it may seem like a demotion to go from head coach to associate head coach, Beilein has made it clear that he wants highly experienced NBA coaches on his staff. That priority will likely offer Bickerstaff quite a bit of sway within the organization as Beilein familiarizes himself with the NBA landscape.
The offseason has just begun for the Cavs, but things are already going quite well. Before long, it will be time to make moves on the team’s roster so that the Cavs can continue their rebuild.