- Report: Cavs Have Been Receptive to John Beilein’s Extremely Long Practices
- Video: Austin Carr Accidentally Calls New Cavs Play-by-Play Announcer ‘Fred’
- Report: Cavs Visited Team Owner Dan Gilbert at His Detroit Home on Saturday
- Report: Cavs Willing to Put Darius Garland in Starting Lineup Immediately
- Darius Garland Opens Up on Adjustment to NBA: ‘It’s Been Really Fun’
- Channing Frye Refuses to Call Stephen Curry ‘Lock’ for MVP
- Report: John Beilien Pushing Cavs Big Men to Shoot 3-Pointers Without Hesitation
- Collin Sexton Pays Larry Nance Jr. Huge Compliment While Talking About His Value to Cavs
- Kevin Durant Says Cavs, Not Warriors, Were Most Talented Team in 2016
- Report: Kevin Love and Collin Sexton Have Great Relationship, Texted Each Other Frequently Over Offseason
Collin Sexton Finishes Rookie Campaign in Same Class as Stephen Curry and Larry Bird
- Updated: April 10, 2019
In fact, the point guard’s statistical production put him in the same class as NBA legends Stephen Curry and Larry Bird.
.@CollinSexton02 finished 2018-19 w/ averages of 16.7 PTS, 40.2 3FG%, 83.9 FT%, 2.9 REB & 3.0 AST in 31.8 MIN. He became the 3rd rookie in @NBAHistory to average at least 16.0 PPG while shooting 40.0 3FG% & 80.0 FT% (Larry Bird 1979-80, Stephen Curry 2009-10) #NBAAllRookie1stTeam
— Cavs Official Notes (@CavsNotes) April 10, 2019
Sexton, 20, was the eighth overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. While the youngster struggled to find his groove early in the year, Sexton got into a rhythm after the All-Star break.
On top of 16.7 points, the point guard put up 3.0 assists and 2.9 rebounds per game this season. Perhaps the most encouraging, his scoring among rookies was only below rising stars Luka Doncic and Trae Young.
In addition to the elite class he got into with Bird and Curry, the University of Alabama product broke multiple Cavs records, including a franchise one held by superstar LeBron James. While it’s too early to compare the rookie to the four-time MVP, there’s no telling how high Sexton’s ceiling can be.