- Report: Cavs Would ‘Gladly’ Trade for Gordon Hayward This Offseason
- Report: Kyrie Irving Was ‘Strange’ and ‘Angry’ After Winning 2016 NBA Championship
- LeBron James Again Named One of Time’s 100 Most Influential People
- Charles Barkley Roasts Shaquille O’Neal for His Miserable Tenure on Cavs
- Report: Cavs Have Compiled List of Potential Suitors for J.R. Smith
- Report: There Were Weeks Where LeBron’s Agent and David Griffin ‘Drove Each Other Nuts’
- Collin Sexton Sends Special Thanks to Cavs Organization, Teammates and Fans
- LeBron James’ Former Cavs Coach Calls Him a ‘Coach Killer’
- Zion Williamson Officially Declares for 2019 NBA Draft With Epic Video
- Report: Several Executives Couldn’t Believe Cavs Thought They Were Going to Make Playoffs
Collin Sexton Finishes Rookie Campaign in Same Class as Stephen Curry and Larry Bird
- Updated: April 10, 2019
In fact, the point guard’s statistical production put him in the same class as NBA legends Stephen Curry and Larry Bird.
.@CollinSexton02 finished 2018-19 w/ averages of 16.7 PTS, 40.2 3FG%, 83.9 FT%, 2.9 REB & 3.0 AST in 31.8 MIN. He became the 3rd rookie in @NBAHistory to average at least 16.0 PPG while shooting 40.0 3FG% & 80.0 FT% (Larry Bird 1979-80, Stephen Curry 2009-10) #NBAAllRookie1stTeam
— Cavs Official Notes (@CavsNotes) April 10, 2019
Sexton, 20, was the eighth overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. While the youngster struggled to find his groove early in the year, Sexton got into a rhythm after the All-Star break.
On top of 16.7 points, the point guard put up 3.0 assists and 2.9 rebounds per game this season. Perhaps the most encouraging, his scoring among rookies was only below rising stars Luka Doncic and Trae Young.
In addition to the elite class he got into with Bird and Curry, the University of Alabama product broke multiple Cavs records, including a franchise one held by superstar LeBron James. While it’s too early to compare the rookie to the four-time MVP, there’s no telling how high Sexton’s ceiling can be.