- Isaiah Thomas Says Celtics Would Have Won Title If He Had Never Been Traded to Cavs
- Collin Sexton Credits Cavs Teammates After Reaching 6th Straight 23-Point Game
- Channing Frye Explains Why Detroit Pistons Are Going to Be Dangerous in Playoffs
- Dan Gilbert, Larry Drew, and Channing Frye Offer Huge Praise for Collin Sexton
- Report: Kevin Love Questionable vs. Detroit Pistons With New Injury
- Cedi Osman Sends Message to Team USA Amid FIBA World Cup Match
- Kyrie Irving Says LeBron James Was ‘Thirsty for Rebounds’ With Cavs
- Collin Sexton Breaks Cavs Rookie Record Set by LeBron James
- J.R. Smith Says He’s Beaten Kyrie Irving, Carmelo Anthony, Other All-Stars 1-on-1
- Kevin Love Speaks Out on Facing Dirk Nowitzki One Last Time
Cavs Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers plan to trade J.R. Smith in June
- Updated: February 27, 2019
According to a report from Joe Vardon of The Athletic, Smith won’t be on the Cavs’ roster for much longer.
“The Cavs’ projected salary for next season includes JR Smith’s $15.8 million,” Vardon wrote. “If he’s waived or traded by June 30, he only costs $3.9 million, which would drop Cleveland below the tax line straightaway…
“Now, you might counter that the Cavs could buy out JR Smith and get him to leave some money on the table to create some room to operate. But that’s not going to happen because the Cavs have every intention of trying to trade him in June. If they need another body over the last 22 games, there’s always the two-way guys.”
The Cavs were unable to move Smith prior to the trade deadline earlier this month, but he’ll become much more valuable when his contact becomes an expiring one following the end of the 2018-19 season.
That will make getting a deal done to move him elsewhere much more likely.
For months, it has been clear that both the Cavs and Smith would benefit from their partnership coming to an end, and it seems it’ll be just a few more months before ties are finally severed.
Until then, the Cavs will look to improve with the mixtures of youngsters and vets on their roster that are still interested in donning the Wine and Gold.