- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
Cavs News: Isaiah Thomas Fined $20K by NBA for Striking Andrew Wiggins
- Updated: January 10, 2018
When Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Isaiah Thomas was ejected from Monday night’s loss in Minnesota, the inevitability of the NBA assessing some sort of penalty on the veteran guard was expected. On Wednesday, the league made that penalty a financial one by fining Thomas $20,000 for his hit on Minnesota Timberwolves forward Andrew Wiggins.
The NBA just announced that Isaiah Thomas was fined $20K, no suspension, for his lariat on Andrew Wiggins. So Cavs will have him Thursday in Toronto.
— Blake Murphy (@BlakeMurphyODC) January 10, 2018
Thomas, who was playing in just his third game since returning from an extended rehabilitation of an injured hip, potentially faced a suspension for striking Wiggins in the throat as the latter drove to the basket. The play took place during the third quarter, with Thomas being assessed a flagrant 2 foul, which called for an immediate ejection. At the time, the Cavaliers were in the midst of being routed by the Timberwolves.
The fine won’t put much of a dent in his 2017-18 salary of $6.26 million and will allow him to play in Thursday night’s matchup against the Toronto Raptors. In his three games as a member of the Cavs, Thomas has averaged just 19.7 minutes of action as he’s being eased back into the team’s lineup. During his time on the court, he’s averaged 15.0 points and 3.3 assists.