- Kirk Cousins Explains Why He ‘Totally Understands’ Why LeBron James Left Cavs
- Luka Doncic Pays Cedi Osman Ultimate Compliment After Rising Stars Challenge
- LeBron James Reveals Why Kyrie Irving’s Recent Phone Call Meant So Much to Him
- Rodney Hood Explains Why Playing in Cleveland Was So Rough Last Season
- Report: Former Cavs GM to Be ‘Likely Target’ in New Orleans Pelicans’ Search
- LeBron James Offers Huge Praise for Zion Williamson
- Report: Dan Gilbert Talked to Certain Cavs Players After Wednesday’s Loss to Brooklyn Nets
- Collin Sexton Takes Slight Jab at New York Knicks’ Kevin Knox
- Cavs Teammates Rave About ‘Hotheaded’ Marquese Chriss
- Scottie Pippen Takes Huge Shot at LeBron James in Comparison to Kobe Bryant
Report: Dan Gilbert and David Griffin May Have Disagreed on Trading Kyrie Irving
- Updated: June 20, 2017
When the Cleveland Cavaliers selected point guard Kyrie Irving with the top pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, he was seen as the cornerstone of the team’s rebuilding effort. Irving didn’t completely blossom until LeBron James returned to the team, yet it is now being reported that teams are inquiring about the 25-year-old All-Star. That could be something that served as the final break in the professional relationship between Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and general manager David Griffin.
— Sam Amico (@AmicoHoops) June 20, 2017
In his early years, Irving struggled with injuries, but just one season ago, it was his last-minute 3-pointer that served as the game-winning points in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. The fact that he’s established a strong bond with James during their three seasons as teammates seemingly made the idea of dealing him elsewhere an absurd scenario.
There’s no indication as to why Gilbert would think about dealing the guard, though Irving’s defensive liabilities and injury history are likely candidates. Irving made $17.6 million this past season and is owed $60 million over the next three years. With Griffin no longer in a position to block any such move, the status of Irving might now be shakier than it was when the season ended.