- J.R. Smith says Cavs championship team was ‘grittier,’ ‘nastier,’ and played ‘harder’ than Lakers
- Report: Celtics monitoring ‘uncomfortable’ contract talks between Cavs and Andre Drummond
- Collin Sexton reveals inspiring message Dwyane Wade gave him during jersey swap
- Report: Cavs putting ‘large focus’ on improving defense this offseason
- Former Cavs star reveals sleeper who he thinks is ‘best’ point guard in 2020 draft class
- Report: Cavs and Andre Drummond all of sudden far apart on contract extension
- Iman Shumpert clears up what Kyrie Irving meant after seemingly dissing LeBron James
- Cavs superstar Kevin Love seen working out in New York with renowned trainer
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares scary, suicidal Instagram post as fans beg him to seek help
- Report: Cavs hoping to attend workout of top NBA draft prospect Devin Vassell
Report: Cavaliers Sign Derrick Williams to Second 10-Day Contract
- Updated: February 22, 2017
Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com explained the terms of the new deal, which will expire on March 4:
“The 10-day contract is for $67,700. Should the Cavs need his roster spot for any reason — like clearing a roster spot to make a trade in which the Cavs take on multiple players with the intent to waive one — they can simply terminate Williams’ 10-day contract and then sign him for the rest of the season after the trade.”
The expectation is that Williams will be signed to a contract for the duration of the season once this second 10-day deal expires. NBA rules state that the Cavaliers must do that or Williams immediately becomes a free agent.
The Cavaliers resume play on Thursday night with a nationally televised game against the New York Knicks on TNT with tipoff set for just after 8 p.m. ET.