- J.R. Smith Addresses His Status for Game 3 vs. Indiana Pacers
- Latest NBA 2K17 Update Reveals New Ratings for Cavs Players
- Video: Kevin Love Hilariously Interrupts LeBron James During Postgame Press Conference
- LeBron James Passes Magic Johnson on All-Time Playoff Steals List
- Warriors Roasted on Twitter for Stealing Cavs’ Playoff Slogan and Design
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Indiana Pacers Game 2 Recap: Big 3 Goes Off in Game 2 Victory
- Kyrie Irving Drains 3-Pointer in Lance Stephenson’s Face, Proceeds to Talk Trash
- LeBron James Alters Free-Throw Shooting Technique With Help From Kyle Korver
- LeBron James Continues Odd Playoff Tradition Into 2017 NBA Playoffs
- Warriors Shamelessly Steal Cavs’ Entire Playoff Slogan and Design
LeBron James: ‘We gotta get a point guard. It’s my last time saying it’
- Updated: January 6, 2017
That’s because, although Korver fills a temporary deficiency at the shooting guard slot due to the injury to J.R. Smith, the Cavs still have a glaring deficiency they’ve had all season long at the backup point guard position.
“We still got a couple more things we need to do,” James said Friday, when asked if Cleveland’s acquisition of Korver was a “championship move.”
“We gotta get a point guard,” James said. “It’s my last time saying it. We need a point guard.
James is effectively playing the backup point guard position to starter Kyrie Irving and, as a result, is averaging the most minutes per game since his return to Cleveland at 37.1 minutes. The wear and tear on the 32-year-old may be costly come playoff time, when the minutes will matter the most.
The only other point guards currently on the roster are Mo Williams and Kay Felder. Williams, who has stuck around the team just to get paid, is reportedly included in the Korver deal. While Felder is a severely unpolished rookie who has managed to average just 1.7 assists in 19 minutes over the past three games in the absence of starter Irving.
The Cavs front office is reportedly already in the process of acquiring a backup point guard with Mario Chalmers being the frontrunner.
Stay tuned as we keep you updated here at Cavaliers Nation.