- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
Former Cavs Assistant Coach Hilariously Details Story of J.R. Smith Throwing Soup at Him
- Updated: March 19, 2019
While the details related to the incident were previously murky at best, Jones appeared on a recent episode of ESPN’s “Jalen & Jacoby” to reveal some hilarious aspects of the ill-fated soup throw.
— Jalen & Jacoby (@JalenandJacoby) March 19, 2019
“For a long time I refused to talk about the soup incident,” said Jones, who was fired along with Tyronn Lue early this season. “It’s OK now because I’ve moved on, me and J.R., we’ve talked about it. He apologized.
“But it was the bowl plus the soup. And it was the first bowl out of the pot, so it was hot as hell. … It went everywhere. I was standing up. It hit me in the shoulder, arm, everywhere. Hit the wall. I mean, it was a mess.
“The soup was on my arm and it was hot as hell.”
Jones did not reveal the reasoning behind Smith’s soup toss. What he did talk about was how Smith finally decided to the bury the hatchet with his former colleague.
“We didn’t talk to each other for probably three months, not one word,” Jones said. “And then, I remember it was a night after a back-to-back, it was in Philadelphia, we had a conversation and said, ‘You know what, brothers have quarrels. I’m sorry, I apologize, let’s move on.’”
While it was a hilarious story to read about at the time, it is clear that it certainly strained the professional and personal relationship between Smith and Jones.
Luckily, it seems like both men have managed to move on from the incident and continue their friendship.