- Cavs Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers Considering Dealing No. 5 Pick to Atlanta Hawks
- Report: Cavs Make Groundbreaking Hire With Latest Addition to Staff
- Report: Cavs Still Exploring Ways to Trade for No. 3 Pick to Draft R.J. Barrett
- Video: Kevin Love Discusses If He’s Open to Leaving Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Cavs Held Private Workout, Had Dinner With Jarrett Culver on Monday
- How Cavs Could Land No. 3 Pick By Facilitating Anthony Davis Trade to Knicks
- Channing Frye Gives Hilarious Take on Kawhi Leonard
- Kevin Love Gives Bold Prediction on Rest of NBA Finals
- Cavs Fans Quickly Shut Down SportsCenter’s ‘Fact’ About Toronto Raptors
- Kevin Love’s Emphatic Reaction After Seeing Kevin Durant Go Down With Injury in Game 5
Former Cavs Assistant Coach Hilariously Details Story of J.R. Smith Throwing Soup at Him
- Updated: March 19, 2019
While the details related to the incident were previously murky at best, Jones appeared on a recent episode of ESPN’s “Jalen & Jacoby” to reveal some hilarious aspects of the ill-fated soup throw.
— Jalen & Jacoby (@JalenandJacoby) March 19, 2019
“For a long time I refused to talk about the soup incident,” said Jones, who was fired along with Tyronn Lue early this season. “It’s OK now because I’ve moved on, me and J.R., we’ve talked about it. He apologized.
“But it was the bowl plus the soup. And it was the first bowl out of the pot, so it was hot as hell. … It went everywhere. I was standing up. It hit me in the shoulder, arm, everywhere. Hit the wall. I mean, it was a mess.
“The soup was on my arm and it was hot as hell.”
Jones did not reveal the reasoning behind Smith’s soup toss. What he did talk about was how Smith finally decided to the bury the hatchet with his former colleague.
“We didn’t talk to each other for probably three months, not one word,” Jones said. “And then, I remember it was a night after a back-to-back, it was in Philadelphia, we had a conversation and said, ‘You know what, brothers have quarrels. I’m sorry, I apologize, let’s move on.’”
While it was a hilarious story to read about at the time, it is clear that it certainly strained the professional and personal relationship between Smith and Jones.
Luckily, it seems like both men have managed to move on from the incident and continue their friendship.