- Cavs Rumors: Kevin Love ‘Prefers’ Trade to Portland Trail Blazers
- Kevin Porter Jr. Rips Cavs Defense, Says ‘We Keep Ball-Watching’
- Tristan Thompson’s Statement After Cavs Loss: ‘Rather Lose Like This Than Any Other F——— Way’
- Report: John Beilein Reached Out to 76ers Coach on How to Deal With Struggling Cavs
- Report: Portland Trail Blazers Could Package Hassan Whiteside, 1st-Round Pick for Kevin Love
- Report: Denver Nuggets Could Package Multiple Players in Trade for Kevin Love
- Report: NBA Execs Believe Kevin Love Deal Unlikely to Net Cavs More Than 1st-Round Pick
- Report: Kevin Love Prefers Trade to Title Contender
- Video: Philadelphia 76ers Announcer Rips Apart Kevin Porter Jr. During Broadcast
- Report: Members of Cavs Organization Call Out Kevin Love’s ‘Lousy Body Language’
Former Cavs Assistant Coach Hilariously Details Story of J.R. Smith Throwing Soup at Him
- Updated: March 19, 2019
While the details related to the incident were previously murky at best, Jones appeared on a recent episode of ESPN’s “Jalen & Jacoby” to reveal some hilarious aspects of the ill-fated soup throw.
— Jalen & Jacoby (@JalenandJacoby) March 19, 2019
“For a long time I refused to talk about the soup incident,” said Jones, who was fired along with Tyronn Lue early this season. “It’s OK now because I’ve moved on, me and J.R., we’ve talked about it. He apologized.
“But it was the bowl plus the soup. And it was the first bowl out of the pot, so it was hot as hell. … It went everywhere. I was standing up. It hit me in the shoulder, arm, everywhere. Hit the wall. I mean, it was a mess.
“The soup was on my arm and it was hot as hell.”
Jones did not reveal the reasoning behind Smith’s soup toss. What he did talk about was how Smith finally decided to the bury the hatchet with his former colleague.
“We didn’t talk to each other for probably three months, not one word,” Jones said. “And then, I remember it was a night after a back-to-back, it was in Philadelphia, we had a conversation and said, ‘You know what, brothers have quarrels. I’m sorry, I apologize, let’s move on.’”
While it was a hilarious story to read about at the time, it is clear that it certainly strained the professional and personal relationship between Smith and Jones.
Luckily, it seems like both men have managed to move on from the incident and continue their friendship.