- LeBron James reveals Cavs fan that mocked him, which led to 21-point explosion in 4th quarter
- Collin Sexton opens up on why Cavs needed blowout loss versus Celtics
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are hoping Andre Drummond gets bought out by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: LeBron James gave Cavs teammates ‘300’ style Spartan shields before facing Warriors in 2016 Finals
- Report: Larry Nance Jr. to miss Monday’s game vs. Lakers with new injury
- Report: Cavs could try to flip Andre Drummond and Kevin Love for draft capital
- Report: Nets in ‘active discussions’ with Cavs for JaVale McGee, also interested in Kevin Love
- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
Former Cavs Assistant Coach Hilariously Details Story of J.R. Smith Throwing Soup at Him
- Updated: March 19, 2019
While the details related to the incident were previously murky at best, Jones appeared on a recent episode of ESPN’s “Jalen & Jacoby” to reveal some hilarious aspects of the ill-fated soup throw.
— Jalen & Jacoby (@JalenandJacoby) March 19, 2019
“For a long time I refused to talk about the soup incident,” said Jones, who was fired along with Tyronn Lue early this season. “It’s OK now because I’ve moved on, me and J.R., we’ve talked about it. He apologized.
“But it was the bowl plus the soup. And it was the first bowl out of the pot, so it was hot as hell. … It went everywhere. I was standing up. It hit me in the shoulder, arm, everywhere. Hit the wall. I mean, it was a mess.
“The soup was on my arm and it was hot as hell.”
Jones did not reveal the reasoning behind Smith’s soup toss. What he did talk about was how Smith finally decided to the bury the hatchet with his former colleague.
“We didn’t talk to each other for probably three months, not one word,” Jones said. “And then, I remember it was a night after a back-to-back, it was in Philadelphia, we had a conversation and said, ‘You know what, brothers have quarrels. I’m sorry, I apologize, let’s move on.’”
While it was a hilarious story to read about at the time, it is clear that it certainly strained the professional and personal relationship between Smith and Jones.
Luckily, it seems like both men have managed to move on from the incident and continue their friendship.