- Cavs News: LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love Voted Best Cavaliers Ever
- Kevin Love Gives Props to LeBron James Paying Tribute to Nipsey Hussle
- Tristan Thompson Says City of Cleveland Has Best Sports Fans
- Report: Kevin Love and Charlamagne tha God to Collaborate on Mental Health Talk
- Report: Cavs From 2016 Championship Team Wore Rings for Fred McLeod’s Funeral
- Cleveland Indians Honor Fred McLeod With Moment of Silence Before Game
- J.R. Smith Pays Respect to Shaun Livingston After He Announces Retirement
- Report: Cavs Insider Ranks Team’s 5 Most Valuable Trade Pieces
- Sports Illustrated Ranks Kevin Love in Top 50 of Best NBA Players of 2020 List
- Ben Simmons Clowns Darius Garland’s NBA 2K20 Player via Social Media
NBA Players React to Crucial Charge Call on Kevin Durant Being Overturned
- Updated: June 1, 2018
Game 1 of the NBA Finals was filled with controversial moments from start to finish. However, none were more controversial than when the game’s referees overturned a charging foul call on Kevin Durant and turned it into a blocking foul on LeBron James late in the game.
With just 36.4 seconds left on the clock following the play, it was a hugely impactful call to make on basketball’s biggest stage. While the Oracle Arena crowd was jubilant over the overturned call, many could not understand how the game’s refs would make such a huge change on what amounted to a judgement call.
Some of those who were left scratching their heads were James and Durant’s own colleagues. A number of NBA stars took to Twitter to share their opinions on the questions call.
— Chris Bosh (@chrisbosh) June 1, 2018
I thought the only way you can change a charge call was if someone was in or out of the charge circle
— Damian Lillard (@Dame_Lillard) June 1, 2018
Never seen a charge call over turned based on movement in my life. . Only seen it changed based on whether or not someone was in the restricted area
— CJ McCollum (@CJMcCollum) June 1, 2018
Why can you review block/ charge and not any other call? That don’t make sense to me 🤷🏽♂️
— Derrick White (@Dwhite921) June 1, 2018
Everyone’s talking about George Hill and JR Smith but that reviewed and then changed block/charge call was the real killer “what if”… Glad I wasn’t a ref in that situation… looked like a true 50/50 call #NBAfinals
— Matt Bonner (@mattbonner_15) June 1, 2018
L M A O
— Spencer Dinwiddie (@SDinwiddie_25) June 1, 2018
Didn’t know you could change a judgement call….
— Maurice Harkless (@moe_harkless) June 1, 2018
Damn tough call!
— Andre Drummond (@AndreDrummond) June 1, 2018
I suddenly don’t know the review rules anymore
— Francis Kaminsky III (@FSKPart3) June 1, 2018
If the call had been confirmed as an offensive charge, the Cavs would have regained possession with a real chance to ice the game. Instead, Durant was sent to the line and managed to tie the game up.
The rest, as they say, is history.