- J.R. Smith annihilates Olivia Harlan Dekker, insinuates husband uses N-bombs
- Sam Dekker’s wife agrees that J.R. Smith amongst ‘dumbest people on planet’
- Sam Dekker issues strong response to J.R. Smith’s accusation that he supports Donald Trump
- Report: Cavs to hold pre-draft workouts for Obi Toppin, other top prospects this week
- J.R. Smith says former Cavs swingman was only teammate he couldn’t ‘stand’ in entire NBA career
- Report: J.B. Bickerstaff reveals ‘positive’ conversations with Andre Drummond about future with Cavs
- Skip Bayless makes strong argument why he would take 2016 Cavs over 2020 Lakers
- LeBron James gets ‘chills’ rewatching Cavs’ historic NBA Finals win over Warriors
- Andre Drummond hints at working towards major evolution in his game
- Video: Cavs big man seen getting schooled by WNBA star in 1-on-1 matchup
Cavs News: Cavaliers Hire Mike Longabardi as Assistant Coach for Defense
- Updated: January 25, 2016
Longabardi, who previously served as the Phoenix Suns’ defensive coordinator, will take over the defensive specialist role that Tyronn Lue held before he accepted the head coaching position with the Cavaliers. The Suns released Longabardi last month due to a bench shake-up involving Jeff Hornacek’s staff.
Lue and Longabardi have previously worked together on the Boston Celtics’ coaching staff.
Longabardi also worked under Tom Thibodeau while with the Celtics and he is known for his ability to get the best defensively out of his teams. Washington Wizards center Marcin Gortat had commented that the Suns were vastly improved during the 2013-14 season due to Longabardi’s coaching:
“I would say the big success on that team is actually Mike Longabardi, the assistant coach from the Boston Celtics. He’s the defensive coordinator. He’s just an incredible defensive coordinator. He gets his team ready for every game and I think the success of the team, a lot goes to him. He knows how to win the games.”
Due to Lue and Longabardi’s familiarity with one another, the Cavaliers should only benefit as a result.