Cavs Rumors

Report: Ex-Cavs forward allegedly stole over $250K from Las Vegas casinos

Published by
Sam Leweck

According to a report, the developing legal situation surrounding former Cleveland Cavaliers forward Marcus Morris stems from allegations that he stole over $250,000 from two Las Vegas casinos.

Morris allegedly obtained the money from the casinos by using bad checks, according to court documents obtained by TMZ Sports.

“Marcus Morris’ latest legal woes stem from allegations he stole over $250,000 from two prominent Las Vegas casinos … TMZ Sports has learned,” the outlet reported.

“According to court documents we obtained, the NBA player allegedly got $115,000 from the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino via bad checks in May 2024 … and never paid it back when the checks bounced.

“Officials state around a month later, in June 2024, he performed a similar scam at the Wynn Las Vegas Hotel and Casino … netting $150,000 through checks he knew wouldn’t cash.

“The docs show two separate warrants for Morris’ arrest were issued over the claims earlier this year.”

Morris was arrested on Sunday over the warrants. His agent painted a different picture of the situation over the weekend.

TMZ Sports reported that Morris remains behind bars as of Tuesday. It’s a bizarre situation with some murky details for a player who has made over $100 million in his NBA career, per Spotrac. As Morris hasn’t played in the NBA since the 2023-24 season, it’s unclear what his current financial situation is.

His most recent action in the NBA came with the Cavaliers. He played in 12 games for them during the 2023-24 regular season before seeing action in nine more games for Cleveland in the playoffs. That season, the Cavs reached the second round before being eliminated by the Boston Celtics.

Morris was a pretty productive player during his earlier years. From the start of the 2015-16 season through the end of the 2021-22 season, he averaged 14.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game.

He then started to see his role in the NBA decrease, perhaps partly because of age, and he didn’t play in the NBA this past season. It’s unclear if he will see action in the league again, as he will turn 36 soon. His legal situation likely won’t help matters.

Morris has seen action with eight NBA teams in total, making him quite the journeyman. Although he has never earned any major honors in the league, he has had a long and solid career after being drafted with the No. 14 overall pick back in 2011.

It’s unclear where his legal matter will go from here. If getting picked up by an NBA team this summer is a goal for him, he may need to resolve the situation as soon as possible, as the league’s offseason is moving on by.

Sam Leweck

Sam has covered the NBA for multiple years and is very excited about the future of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Published by
Sam Leweck

Recent Posts

2016 champ says Cavs ‘found something’ amid series comeback vs. Pistons

The Cleveland Cavaliers have successfully climbed out of an 0-2 hole against the Detroit Pistons…

5 days ago

Jeff Teague says Cavs failed to make deal that would’ve sent them to NBA Finals

The Cleveland Cavaliers still have a legitimate chance to make the 2026 NBA Finals, but…

5 days ago

Kendrick Perkins rips Evan Mobley for impact vs. Pistons: ‘You finish the game with one rebound?’

The Cleveland Cavaliers failed to steal a game from the Detroit Pistons on the road…

1 week ago

Former Cavs player says James Harden needs to come off the bench in limited minutes

The Cleveland Cavaliers are in an 0-2 hole in their second-round series against the Detroit…

1 week ago

Donovan Mitchell suggests that he needs to flop to get calls after free-throw disparity in Game 1

Cleveland Cavaliers star Donovan Mitchell wasn’t happy with the lack of foul calls that he…

2 weeks ago

Skip Bayless implies James Harden was carried in Game 7 vs. Raptors

The Cleveland Cavaliers got the job done in Game 7 against the Toronto Raptors on…

2 weeks ago