- Report: Darius Garland was ‘hurt’ when Cavs and Tristan Thompson parted ways
- Report: Nets to make run at acquiring Cavs backup center JaVale McGee
- Report: Cavs had chance to acquire DeAndre Jordan in 2018 with LeBron James on team
- Report: Some Cavs veterans ‘resented’ Collin Sexton in 2018, wanted to trade for one last shot at title
- Video: Jarrett Allen catches a body as he posterizes Nets defender
- Video: James Harden delivers filthy through-the-legs pass to Kyrie Irving
- Kevin Porter Jr. shares emotional post as he bids goodbye to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Report: Darius Garland and Dylan Windler expected to play Friday night vs. Nets
- Report: Cavs saw James Harden potential in Kevin Porter Jr.
- Report: Nets list Kevin Durant as questionable ahead of Friday’s game vs. Cavs
Isaac Okoro’s cocky message for J.B. Bickerstaff after clutch defense vs. Memphis Grizzlies
- Updated: January 8, 2021
The guard wasn’t afraid to boast to head coach J.B. Bickerstaff about his stifling defense after the victory.
“I told him, ‘That’s how you play defense.’ I feel like throughout the last quarter I pretty much shut down every single guy I was guarding,” Okoro told cleveland.com on his conversation with Bickerstaff after the game. “It was either a turnover, a deflection or a block. I felt like I played great defense throughout the whole game but especially in the fourth quarter.”
Okoro, 19, has already missed games this season due to a foot injury.
The Cavs feel the youngster’s absence. Bickerstaff recently expressed how crucial Okoro is to the team’s success on the floor.
On Thursday, Okoro’s impact was on full display. He gathered eight points, two rebounds, two assists, two blocks and one steal in a team-high 39 minutes of action.
Although Okoro’s offensive numbers weren’t glamorous, his defensive presence was incredible. The No. 5 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft heavily smothered Grizzlies rising star Dillon Brooks, who finished the contest with 11 points on 4-of-13 shooting and four turnovers.
The Cavs take on the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday night.